THREE MONTHS
POV: James Bret Nikolai Ravn
Østergaard
“Your Highness?”
It
was Gerardo, who appeared in front of me, breaking away my trance.
I
know it was Gerardo. I’ve known him for almost six months now that hearing his
voice has given me that sense of familiarity.
“Your
Highness,” he called once more, and I finally looked at him.
It
was snowing outside, as I peek through the window, one leg resting on the
windowsill of the Royal Library.
“Henri
Keller entered the Palace, seeking you before anyone else,” he reported.
I
stood up sharply. “Where?”
“Just
outside, Your Highness.”
“Bring
him in!” I commanded.
Henri
Keller disappeared just the same time when his sister, Candice, passed away. I
searched for him, but I figured he must have felt as devastated as me, knowing
of his sister’s sudden death. But he was the key to the investigation I’ve been
working on since he confessed everything. And when he left, everything was put
on hold. I didn’t even know if I should go on, as I’ve doubt it over the months
that have gone by.
But
Henri came back, and it gave me hope.
He
looked just the same, and his sight very much reminded me of Candice. It pained
me right away to see his dark expressive eyes, his one sided dimple, and his
dark hair. For a moment, I imagined him to be Candice, reappearing before me.
But then he spoke, and I realized then just how much they differ. That no
matter how I squint my eyes, the one approaching me isn’t Candice, but her
brother who looked exactly like her, guy-version, Henri.
“Your
Highness,” he greeted, kneeling down before me.
I
was surprised by this gesture.
“I
deeply apologize for disappearing, Your Highness. Please pardon my disgrace,”
he said, and I noticed both his hands shaking. “But I came with good news…For I
have found Dr. Stephan Verohl. He had been residing in Ireland, and I have
brought him with me.”
***
Finally,
with the Princess Dowager’s (That’s my Mother. She claimed the title Dowager
Princess when I claimed mine as the Crown Prince) help, we were able to put the
Prime Minister into questioning.
The
moment it came out, Wolland was shaken upside down. Many followers of Carsten
Regerett in the Parliament revolted, but more valued what can be proven. Dr.
Stephan Verohl took the stand at the Supreme Court in Holbæk Palace, and he
revealed everything. Everyone was surprised as well when the Queen herself
justified Dr. Verohl’s statement. The Queen and I never really spoke since I
blamed her for Candice’s death. But I knew it wasn’t just me. I believe she
blamed herself as well, for I never saw that same superiority in her eyes since
then.
Her
statement helped, for that fourth court day, the Prime Minister was stripped of
his title, and was sentenced to life imprisonment. The doctor was put behind
bars as well, but with lesser years. Henri, sadly to admit, since he conspired
with it all, shared the burden, but was lighter, since his testimony helped the
case. He was instead banned from Wolland.
That
same night, the Queen told me, that she will be handing down the crown the next
year, and that I shall become King James Bret Nikolai Ravn Østergaard. I wanted
to celebrate. But it was something to celebrate only if you feel happy. And I
don’t. A part of me is missing. A part of me is gone. A part of me is dead. And
now I understand King Alexanderth. I understand his misery. I understand his
agony when his beloved died. And now I understand why he built Princess
Kassandra’s tomb. I understand love. I understand that it does doesn’t exist in the Palace.
The
next year came very slowly, and dully. I was crowned King on the 24th
of January, the next year, without a wife. And Jonathan Leroy was appointed my
Prime Minister. I feel half of me dead, but still, I have these dreams of
Candice, that each morning I wake up hoping, for whatever reason, that Candice
will show up in the Palace, and tell me, that dying was just another clever
strategy of hers to win the game.
No comments:
Post a Comment