Monday, 15 July 2013

BMP: Chapter 21


Chapter 21

 “Three months is ending.”
POV: Candice Regerett
“And how are you going to do that?” I asked, watching him remove his socks.
He slipped in next to me, in my bed.
“First,” he said, “I need the autopsy report.”
I found a space on his chest to rest my head, as he pulled the sheets closer.
“I cannot believe the Queen did all of this for an old grudge,” I commented.
I slipped a glance to see his face, but his stare was distant.
“No matter what, we can’t let them win,” I said.
“I have no intention to,” he replied, rubbing my temples.
We were both silent for a moment.
And I cannot deny the fact that I am a part of the complication. The reason why he can’t directly harm the person who killed his Father is because it puts me on the line. Even though he reassured me it doesn’t carry weight, I know it does. I am the reason why all of this happened anyway. I was my Father’s tool. And I let myself to be. I was so focused to making him proud, that I didn’t notice I’m making him proud of me for the wrong things.
Everything started when I was adopted. Everything started when I became a Regerett. Perhaps it will end with me too.
***
Four days have passed, but when I asked Prince James for progress, he was still struggling. Each day it becomes worse, and things get more and more complicated. Sunday afternoon, he had gathered the Prince Consort and the Crown Princess to confess everything. I was unable to see Princess Elisabeth since. Everyone attended dinner on their own.
“Have you talked to Henri?” Prince James once asked, as we share dinner at the Crown Prince’s bedroom he inherited after his Father died.
I shook my head.
I wanted to talk to Henri, and get to know every detail of our roots, but I am afraid. I am scared that it will lead to yet again another shocking revelation.
I know that day will come though, when I regain the courage to ask.
“Have you found the doctor?” I asked him.
“No. I had hoped Henri knew, but he doesn’t.”
Though I haven’t seen Henri since he blurted out everything, the Prince has been seeing him secretly. Since the Queen’s order was absolute to let things go by swiftly, everything the Prince does regarding the matter has been done under the radar. And some things are really difficult to find, especially from inside the Palace.
As days go by, alternatives have bugged my mind.
What if he cannot find proof?
What if he marries me?
If he marries a Regerett, they win.
And they can’t win.
There’s two more weeks left before the terms end, and Prince James will be officially appointed the Crown Prince.
I can’t let them win.
“Prince?” I called, and he swallowed whatever piece of meat he has on his mouth instantly. “Three months is ending,” I stated the obvious.
“I know,” he said, “And?”
“And we have no progress at all. This may be more difficult as it seems,” I said.
He was silent. Perhaps he knew there’s more for me to say.
“We can’t deny the fact that this becomes only complicated because of me.”
He shifted his weight, and he looked more concerned than curious.
“You can’t marry me because by doing so, we’re handing them the prize,” I said, “I am a Regerett no matter how you claim me not. Without me, you can directly target my Father.”
“No,” he held me hand, “I can convince the public for sure. Just… trust me. You are not a Regerett.”
“You should let me go,” I suggested, and he was completely taken aback. He let go of my hand instantly.
“No!” he blurted, standing up. “Don’t you ever say that! No matter what, I’m holding tight. I will never let you go, Candice. Just be patient with me… please.”
“Think about it,” I stood up too, watching Prince James turn his back away from me. “The only way you win is when the Queen doesn’t. If you fail to find proof to detain my Father, he will remain in position. Then you can’t marry a Regerett. You can’t marry me. And if you do find a way to find proof, he will not only be a murderer but Wolland’s enemy. Then you can’t marry a Regerett. You can’t marry me. Both ways, it leads to the same conclusion.
The right thing to do is the second. But we’re running out of time. It has to be done before the three months time, before you are obliged to marry me.”
***
I was aware that my suggestion only worsened the Prince’s state of mind, but I cannot just overlook it. The next day though, Prince James has asked one of the Royal guards to follow me around. Perhaps he was afraid I’d do something stupid, like my suggestion. But it wasn’t just stupid. In technical terms, it was the most adequate solution to the problem.
“Savannah?” I called, and she came in right away.
“Yes, my Lady?” she lowered her head.
“Find me Henri. I wish to speak to him.”

“The least you can do me is a favor, and you can’t say no.”
POV: Henri Keller
One of Candice’s servants greeted me before ushering me inside my sister’s room. Carsten Regerett had kicked me out of his estate, and fired me all at once the moment I spoke to the Queen. And I have been working secretly with Prince James regarding the doctor who resigned a week after the death of the late Crown Prince. I remembered his face exactly for I was the one who talked to him and relayed the Prime Minister’s message. We found him to be Dr. Stephan Verohl, a very young doctor who has just recently assigned to watch over the Royalty’s health, especially Prince Petersen.
I have received a call from the Palace this morning, asking me to meet Candice in her room.
And she stood there, on the living room, facing a portrait.
“My Lady?” called her servant, “I have brought Mr. Keller.”
She didn’t respond.
I waited for her to speak first but nothing came out from her mouth.
“Candice?”
“Tell me brother,” she said, “Where is our parents?”
I reached for her, enjoying the same portrait she’s been admiring since I came in.
“Our real Father, his name is Meldron Keller, died weeks after the Regerett's adopted you,” I confessed, “He was very sick.”
I paused.
“And our Mother, her name is Corazon Santiago…you’ve met her. At least, you’ve heard of her.”
She looked me immediately, with questioning eyes.
“The old lady in the estate, who sings every night… she’s our Mother,” I finally said.
Her eyes widened.
“How… how did we end up with the Regerett’s?” she asked.
“Our parents worked for the Regerett’s. That’s how they met. And we were born the same. Our Father was very sick, Candice. And they sent me out to seek help to our uncle in Orzagen,” I stopped to check her expression.
“Did you?”
“I did, but I found out he died the year before. I was desperate, so I came back pleading to Carsten Regerett.” I sighed in both relief and guilt as I reveal every secret.
“So he adopted you too?” she asked.
I shook my head, “No. He didn’t. But he promised to help, by helping him.”
She was nodding, “That’s when you started working for him…”
I nodded along.
“Then what about me? How did they end up adopting me?” she asked, as if lucky she remembered to ask.
“To free me, our parents made a deal with Carsten Regerett. To seek help, Carsten asked them to give you up. It wasn’t a total loss, for it was obvious the Regerett’s gave you more than our parents could.”
“Yeah,” she chuckled sarcastically, “A name that forbids me to marry the person I love.”
“Candice, you must understand. It was so difficult then it was their only choice. And besides, Eleanor treasured you dearly…” I noted, and I notice her flinch by the mention of Eleanor’s name. She was in fact the Mother Candice grew up knowing.
“Does…” she paused, “Does Mother know you work for Carsten?”
I turned away, and took a while before I had the ability to reply. “No. I came back and Father was already dead. I was desperate. I thought helping you instead will help them too. To have you as a Princess may bring us all with you.”
“How much do you exactly know of Carsten’s plan?” she asked.
“I’m pretty sure he’s holding something back, but I know he wants you to be Princess, and the Queen was on his side. I know of the bet. Three months time.”
She laughed, walking away, “He hid more from you than he revealed. There’s more to it than you think.”
“I know,” I said, following her to the balcony, “Prince James told me. I swear to God I had no idea of the Queen’s old grudge.”
She faced me then, “You owe me brother.”
I nodded and I hoped sincerity was showing on my face.
“The least you can do for me is a favor, and you can’t say no,” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment