Monday, 15 July 2013

BMP: Chapter 12


Chapter 12

“You are looking at the wrong person you truly love.”
POV: James Bret Nikolai Ravn Østergaard
It’s Thursday afternoon, and I am walking alongside Princess Veronika at Hesselborg Grounds, east of Svensson Palace, behind Lorentzen Assembly. Here is the Hesselborg Lake, where I remember going to when I don’t know where else to go. It was Father’s favorite place. We just crossed the bridge that connects both ends of the lake, and now we’re striding across the orchard.
“So, you are going to attend the Parliament this Saturday?” Princess Veronika had kept me company for the past hour. We’ve talked about Scotland, what’s trending here and there, the latest gossip, and practically just the most random topics ever. I’ve always liked Aunt Veronika, who had taken care of me for eight years. She’s the exact opposite of the Queen. She’s soft-spoken, and gentle, unlike Grandmother, who seems fierce in words and in action. The Queen isn’t the type of person one can mess with. At first I figured maybe being Queen has changed her overtime, but I remember Aunt Veronika telling me she has always been the fighter.
I nodded.
“So it’s conclusive, you are the Crown Prince now,” she said.
“Not without the official appointment,” I reminded.
“Oh it’ll happen!”
“Aunt Veronika?”
The Queen has summoned me earlier yesterday and told me to prepare for the Saturday, for I will be attending the Parliament at Holbæk Palace to represent the Monarchy. It was my Father’s duty, but since I am, considered, the Crown Prince for now, then I am obliged to attend the meeting too.
As a kid, my Grandmother would usually allow me to sit in during the report of the Prime Minister, which happens in differing schedules, at Thorssen Assembly. It has actually opened my eyes to the reality of politics in Wolland, dirt included. But that was it. I’ve never been in the Parliament. I don’t know what to expect. At the back of my head, I think I am even scared. I have only returned to my studies since my return, and I don’t feel confident yet to face the Parliament this week, as an expected Crown Prince.
Princess Veronika stopped walking and turned to me, both hands on her back, “Yes, my dear Prince?”
I was admiring the view, from here to the borders of the Palace. Far ahead, I see the silhouette of the city, the buildings and infrastructures of Gopezt.
“Have you ever seen the Palace,” I paused, turning my gaze to her, “beautiful before?”
She was looking at me like I asked the most obvious question. Nevertheless, she responded, “There are times, yes.” She walked on, without direction.
“When?”
“Hmm… let’s see,” Princess Veronika stopped talking for a while, perhaps rewinding her memories of the Palace. “I remember seeing the Palace as the most beautiful thing in the world when our Father used to give me rides from his back, yes. And when we’d all be at the Royal Quarters, just… chilling. You know, playing board games, and sharing cold feet.”
I made a low snort, trying to keep in my laugh.
“What?” She asked, with eyes of suspicion, “And why do you ask?”
“I find it kind of silly, for whatever reason, that the Palace seems beautiful today.”
And it’s true. There must be something different with the weather, with the blow of the wind, or the color of the trees. Something must have triggered the change.
“Do you know why I find those moments I’ve mentioned, beautiful?” she asked.
She stopped but didn’t turn to me right away, but when she did, she said, “Because I was with people that I love.”
I chuckled.
“Then you must be mistaken, Aunt,” I said, “For ever since my return I have been with everyone, with Olivia, but today is just… different.”
“Perhaps you would want to rewind since,” she suggested.
“It’s funny,” I said, deliberately changing the topic, “When I left the Palace, I knew exactly why. I remember why. But now here I am, for the first time, delighted to be back. I find myself excited every morning.”
“Perhaps,” she said, her voice changed, “You are looking at the wrong person you truly love.”

“This is a fact.”
POV: James Bret Nikolai Ravn Østergaard
When we reached Thorssen Assembly, I can’t help but glance at Lautsen Assembly, half-expecting to see, surprised as I was, when I realized I was expecting Candice.
“Aunt Veronika, why don’t you go ahead? I have to go somewhere.”
By that, she left. And I was on my way to the Royal Library.
I turned the knobs and stepped in. It was quiet.
“Candice?” I called. When no one answered, I thought perhaps she wasn’t there. But before I was able to turn away, I saw in between gaps of the bookshelves, the scattered books on the floor. Someone has been reading. And it only has to be, Candice.
I reached her, seated on the floor with crossed legs. She held a book across her face.
“Candice!” I hollered.
She stood up, clumsily. “Your Highness!”
I smiled.
I glanced at the book in her hand, map of the world spreads across the cover page.
I offered my hand, palm open, and looked at her as if saying, Let me see the book.
She seemed to have understood it, for she handed me the book that instant.
I read the title, “Human Geography?”
“I didn’t know human society intrigues you that much.” I handed back the book, and realized the rest of the books scattered on the floor are Geography books.
“Not just any society, Prince,” she held the book, title facing me, and tapped the title, “Human Geography: Asian Culture”
“Why Asia?” I asked.
She returned the book back to the bookshelf, and I helped her with the rest of the book scattered on the floor.
By the time we were done, I repeated my question, “So now will you tell me? Why Asia?”
“Let me ask you a question,” Candice spoke.
“I asked first.”
“My question will answer yours, Prince,” she stepped out of the line of bookshelves, and stopped in the middle of the library, where there are tables and chairs dedicated for reading.
“Go ahead, then.”
I sat beside her, on one of the chairs of the table.
“Do I look Wollish to you?”
I looked at her, bewildered by the mystery of her question.
“Well,” I tried to answer safely, “You sound Wollish to me. You have the accent.”
And she does. Wollish people hold a mixture of English accent and French.
“No, I mean,” she says, tugging her hair, “Does my hair look Wollish to you? Or my eyes? Or my face and my skin?”
I wasn’t able to respond.
“I look Asian, don’t I?” she said.
“I figured your Mother might be,” I said. I don’t see why this is a big deal, but it seems to be, based on the tone of her voice.
“My Mother has blonde hair,” she said with a disappointed voice.
“Then what are trying to say? That you’re adopted?” She looked at me directly, without blinking.
“Yes,” she said.
“That’s ridiculous!” I shouted, “Maybe you’re just exaggerating.”
“No, this isn’t a speculation, Prince,” she said, standing up, “This is a fact.”
She walked towards the opposite bookshelves from before, and glided her finger to the book binds.
“How are you so sure?”
She turned to me. “Because my Mother told me.”
This information is so raw, that I’m taking more of the usual time to digest everything. Candice was adopted.
“Have you met your real parents?” I asked.
Candice shook her head, “No. My Mother didn’t know.”
The statement didn’t only reveal the fact that Candice hasn’t met her real parents, but also, how come I’ve never asked her about her Mother.
“Candice?” I asked hesitantly, “Where is this Mother of yours, I wonder?”
“Dead.” Her answer was direct.
For a while she just stood there, back facing me. He was standing still, and I am watching her, seated on one of the chairs, waiting for the moment to change the topic.
When it came, I spoke, “I have noticed the book you had the time we first met…” I paused, hoping she’ll face me.
But she didn’t, so I went on, “It was All the King’s Men by Robert Penn Warren, and I was wondering… Have you ever read a book beyond politics or anything besides textbooks and non-fictions, really?
She turned to me, facing me with the bravest face I came to appreciate.
“Then what about?”
“Oh I don’t know,” I glanced around the library, hopeful to catch a glimpse of a title to share, “Like… Twilight, maybe?”
“Twilight?”
I nodded.
She walked towards me, and sat back on the chair she sat on a while ago.
“What is it about?” She asked.
“Well,” I rewind the thousand conversation I had with Olivia regarding the book, in which she is a fan of, “Vampires… I think. It’s a love story.”
Perhaps it was one of those times when Olivia will be fangirling, and would constantly share insights about movies and celebrities I never really cared about, until now, when finally I see some use of sharing it.
She was silent.
“Haven’t you heard of it? It’s quite famous, you know,” I said, “There’s even a movie out. You haven’t seen that too?”
She shook her head.
“Vampires… like Abraham Lincoln?” She sounded intrigued.
I laughed. Surely she has a long way to go to catch up.
I did notice that Candice only tends to Classic books and textbooks for the most part, but I didn’t know she was so naïve at that. But what would I have suspected from a girl who was raised by her adoptive Father, who is the Prime Minister of Wolland, and has been exposed to nothing but politics and the Palace life?
“You need to get out more,” I concluded.

“What happened back there, James?”
POV: James Bret Nikolai Ravn Østergaard
Finally, Saturday came. And right after the mass at St. Agatha’s Church, I went ahead and left the Palace. If there is one other positive side on attending the Parliament Meeting, it is that I am no longer required to take the week’s assessment. If I have the time correct, Olivia and Candice are at the Grand Library right now taking it. I wonder if the Queen intentionally added another essay.
The Royal car pulled over just outside Holbæk Palace, central of Gopezt. The exterior of the Palace looked exactly like Verseed’s City Hall, like a replica. But Holbæk Palace is much bigger, that the ceilings are stretched out higher. There are other cars pulling over, but it’s clear that I am the center of attention. The entrance of Holbæk Palace is as widely open as it can be, with the flag of Wolland on both sides, accompanied by Royal guards.
“Your Highness?" Gerardo called my attention.
He was pointing in, waiting for me to go first.
The walls inside are made of bricks, but the floors are made of marble. The lobby looked like the most typical of train stations, with a huge clock propped on the north hall, call desks on both sides stretching out to the far end, and railings that surround the second floor.
“Your Highness, our Prince!” A man called from behind. When I turned to the voice, I saw the Prime Minister, walking alongside Henri and other three men in suites.
I was crowded by memories of revelation from Candice, and now, looking at him, acknowledging his bow, I seem to wonder how Candice ended up being adopted by Carsten Regerett.
“So the Queen wasn’t kidding at all, seeing you here today,” he said, “Nervous for your first day?”
I don’t get it, but there’s something about Carsten’s aura I feel irritated. I couldn’t bring myself to actually like him, even though he hasn’t done me any wrong. Maybe because he’s done Candice wrong, I thought. I still cannot sustain how he was able to say such hurtful words to his daughter, but maybe it is because she wasn’t truly his daughter. But it was more than that. There was this uneven pitch whenever he speaks. I glanced at Henri, who seems to be detached from the conversation. He was looking far ahead, seeming like the most obedient assistant.
“I see no point on being nervous, Your Excellency, but thank you for inquiring,” I said.
By that, he laughed, mockingly.
“Very well, Your Highness,” he said, patting my back once, and moving on.
“Your Highness!” Another voice called. When I turned around, I saw another familiar figure. But I haven’t seen him the Palace before, no. In fact, if I’m not mistaken, he is one of the ministers of the cabinet.
“Jonathan Leroy, Your Highness,” he lowered his head as a sign of respect, “Minister of Tourism.”
“Nice to meet you, Minister,” I offered my hand, in which he shook.
On the way to the west wing of the second floor, I was greeted by several more Ministers of different offices. There was the Minister of Finance, Culture, and Commerce.
The Debating Chamber, in which the meeting is held, holds a total of 179 chairs for the same number of representatives, excluding my seat, and the Minister of the Crown, Jackson’s.
The interior was spacious, with the chairs in half-circle. The most number of seats are for the Liberals, next are for the Democrats and the rest are for the other Parties.
As I stepped in, I was approached by Jackson, who ushered me to my seat located to the platform in the front so I was facing everyone. I was the last to enter, so while on my way to my seat, I can feel the burn of their stares.
***
I have no idea how long I have been seated in the Debate Chambers of Holbæk Palace, listening to opposing parties hold each other’s necks. During perhaps the first hour of the session, they are debating about the difference of Flat Tax, a tax system with a constant marginal rate for individual and corporate income, and a Fair Tax, that is also being proposed by the Federal Government of the United Sates, that will eliminate all federal income taxes. It was announced that Wolland’s Tax Code is flawed, and they are looking for such alternatives. The issue wasn’t settled and was put on hold.
The testing of nuclear weapons was also debated, but now they’re discussing same sex marriage.
“We are a Christian Country,” someone spoke from the Conservative Party seats, “Our Svensson Palace holds a Church, our beloved Royalty is buried at Thelordian Cathedral, which is this country’s oldest Church, we mention God’s name in our anthem. The Catholic Church is against same sex marriage. If we detain to same sex marriage, we detain to our traditional belief, we detain to our faith.”
This was opposed by the Liberals. “But that is it! It is a traditional belief! The generation has expanded to a broader horizon, and Wolland needs to catch up. Yes, we may be detaining our faith to God, but in what degree? God did not directly forbid marriage of the same sex, but the Church, who are also just people, like us. Moreover, we do not just answer to God, we are the voice of the many, the Parliament is the voice of the citizens, and we answer to them too.”
The Chambers are heating up increasingly as each minute passed by. And I realized the arguments I have witnessed from the Queen’s side isn’t anything compared to these arguments.
“Why don’t we hear the Prince’s side?” Someone suggested.
The Chamber suddenly hushed. I looked at Jackson, and he was about to come to me, when I spoke, “I believe the Conservative Party made their point. God created only two genders, male and female, and that is all. The Bible declared so, and we shall not be detaining our belief of a hundred years, just so Wolland can catch up? Wolland doesn’t need to catch up. Wolland will create its own wheels to get farther.”
Someone replied to my statement, from the Liberals, “Then tell us, Your Highness, exactly when did God forbid same sex marriage? Where from the Bible forbid this, a book supported only by, not God or Jesus himself, but the word of the mouth?”
I couldn’t bring myself to say anything else. For that instant, my mind was blank. It was as if all my learning of the word of God has escaped my mind all at once. And I wanted to do the same, but walking out of this Chamber will disrespect the Monarchy.
Thankfully, someone took the question, “The Bible was supported not just from the words of the most random people, but of the disciples of Jesus. His chosen people. And He chose them for a reason.”
I was so embarrassed of my silence that the moment the issue died down, and the meeting was adjourned, I couldn’t keep my head up.
What happened back there, James? I asked myself as I was on my way back to the Palace, letting my brain drain as I watch people on the street pass by as if the earth has torn me to pieces.

“She seems… nice.”
POV: Candice Regerett
I intended to wake up late, but my body clock is currently set to wake up early because you have so much to do. It’s Sunday, so its rest day, meaning, I won’t be seeing any of the tutors today. I hurried out of bed only to be greeted by Savannah, Alicia, and Alice, asking me what I wanted for breakfast, my plans for the day if I have any, and which among the given black dresses should I be wearing.
I stepped out of Lautsen Assembly only to be greeted by the morning sun enveloping the Sunday sky. I’ve thought of reading a book, but I decided to take a walk instead. I’ve been at the Palace for two weeks and I still haven’t seen the half of it. That’s because last Sunday I was at Verseed with Prince James, or should I say the Crown Prince James. I wonder how the meeting went yesterday. I haven’t seen the Prince since he left St. Agatha’s Church after mass.
I went to Kofoed Assembly and tried to amuse myself with playing the Grand Piano. I suddenly remember seeing Prince James seated on the seat of the Piano, playing the tune I seem to not get over with, as much as I miss the old lady’s at my Father’s estate. I tried pressing the keys, remembering the few piano lessons I had with the Prince back at Verseed.
And at the corner of my eye, I saw a shadow step in. I looked up and expected to see Prince James, but it was Prince Adam instead.
“I thought it was my brother,” he said.
He was alone, no bodyguards, no servants following him.
I stood up to greet him. “Prince Adam, Good Morning!”
“Good Morning, Candy!” He greeted back, with his usual enthusiastic tone.
“How is your assessment yesterday?” he asked.
“It was okay,” I said, kneeling in front of him, “Not another essay from the Queen, thankfully.”
I laughed.
“Yes, I did hear of that one! I also heard you did great!” he said.
I laughed. “I only meant to confuse them.”
“Well, it worked!”
I looked into his blue eyes, the same color as the Queen and Prince James, realizing something.
“It’s a surprise you are not with Prince Luke, Prince,” I noted.
He chuckled, “He’s still asleep.”
“Mind taking a walk with me?” he offered.
I stood up, brushed my knees, and said, “Of course, Prince.”
***
I was holding his hand, letting him lead me towards the back of Lorentzen Assembly. There are trees there, of Rowan with its red highlights, of Birches like shower curtains, but most are Alder Trees that reminds me of Pine Trees. I started to reflect back nights ago, when the Princes and I went to Kassandra Hall. I wondered then what kinds of trees were planted there. It was too dark at the time to bother tree spotting.
“Are we going ghost hunting?” I inquired.
“Maybe I’ll see my Father’s ghost,” he said.
The entire walk I was silent, weighing the Prince’s last words.
We were approached by a lake, with a bridge perched across it. Afar I see a gazebo, and tiny structures that stretches far ahead. And farther away, I see the top of the buildings from the city.
“Where are we?” I asked.
He let go of my hand.
“You haven’t seen this place?” He asked, surprised.
I shook my head.
“Well, that sucks,” he commented, “This is called the Hesselborg. It’s the east counterpart of Kassandra.”
“And,” he said, crossing the bridge, but stopping midway, “This is the Hesselborg Bridge of the Hesselborg Lake.”
He leaned his elbow on the barrier of the bridge. I leaned next to him, admiring both our reflections from the lake, and fishes that swims around our faces, distorting our images.
“This is my Father’s favorite place,” Prince Adam said.
And for a while I noticed the sudden drop on his tone. The always enthusiastic Prince seemed low at this point.
“Do you miss him?” I asked, regretting it that instant. Of course, he misses him.
I saw his reflection nod. “No one else around here seems to.”
He looked up at me, “No one has mentioned Father’s death since, not Mother, and not even the Queen.”
Of course, I thought then, realizing that Wolland didn’t just lose the Crown Prince, but Prince Adam’s Father as well. He must have been devastated, and to know that no one else seems to be weeping over it may be as harder to the little Prince.
“That’s not true,” I said, kneeling down to touch his shoulders, “I’m sure the Queen and your Mother carries the same burden as you, even more.”
“I’ve never seen them cry,” he sounded upset.
“Because they didn’t want you to see them cry, that’s all,” I said, but he seems unsatisfied. He went back to his reflection, and if I wasn’t mistaken, he shed a tear.
I realized then that the Prince Adam may be the only person in the Palace whom has always been honest with me. He isn’t hiding anything. He is open. But I figured instantly that it’s merely because he’s a kid.
“Actually, you should consider yourself thankful, Prince,” I said, watching his reflection, “For the love your Father received extends not only from your Family, but to the entire country. And sometimes, it doesn’t mean that we don’t cry because we’re not hurt. Actually, the pain could be deeper, like the water of a well, too deep for the bucket to reach.”
He was speechless then, and I hope even for the slightest, I have parted the clouds of his despair.
“My birthday is coming up,” Prince Adam reminded me, his tone recovering.
“I know,” I said, “I’m invited, right?”
He grinned, “Of course.”
“And maybe you can play the piano, then!” He suggested, “Maybe you can play it with my brother!”
I doubt it would happen. I barely know how to play, but only the simple arrangements Prince James had shared before.  But I didn’t push, not wanting to disappoint him.
Suddenly, there was noise coming from afar, from the Gazebo. There was laughter, too loud to hear, and too quiet of the grounds to ignore. It was a girl’s laugh. It was Olivia, and I’m guessing Prince James caused that laughter. The Prince does have his moments. And I can’t help to ignore the times when he had made me laugh himself. I didn't notice them appear, but they certainly passed by the Prince and I to get to the Gazebo. Maybe they didn’t cross the bridge, for we would have seen them then.
I glanced at Prince Adam, watching the Gazebo as well.
“What do you think of Olivia?” he asked.
And I searched my wits for an answer. What did I think of Olivia?
“She seems… nice.”
“I think so too,” Prince Adam said, “I mean she has to be if she’s marrying my brother, right?”
He looked at me, with questioning eyes.
Of course, I nodded. But there was something about Prince Adam’s question that didn’t feel right, that gave weight to my heart, so heavy that it pulled me to the bottom of the ocean.
***
That night, while on dinner, I was surprised when Prince James announced in front of everybody that it was my birthday.
“Oh,” I remember him saying, “I believe there’s a reason for celebration tonight,” he turned to me, seated across him, “Happy birthday Candice!”
Everyone gasped, including me. I have lost track of the date. And I am surprised that the Prince knew. Yes, today is my birthday. And I didn’t know until tonight.
I glanced at everybody, mouthing the words thank you as they greet me. Then I looked at Prince Adam, mouth open.
“It’s your birthday? Why didn’t I know? Why didn’t I ever ask?” he said, panicking as everyone laughed along.
Then I caught Prince James staring, smiling as he greet me once more, but I quickly turned away, wondering why, where in fact I should be thanking him more than anyone else from the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment