Chapter 7
"Your Majesty, we
have the scores counted."
POV: Margarett Katherine
Ravn-Østergaard
Candice
was the first to pass her paper, and I forced myself not to read her essay first
before I read it on chorus. Since my James was the last to finish, I read his
first. His answer was anticipated. It's the right thing to do. And it's
probably how I'd do it, so I wasn't satisfied. Then I read Olivia's, which wasn't
as disappointing, since she has only begun studying about the Palace anyway.
But somewhere deep down inside me, I was hoping for more. Her answer was
misleading.
And
finally I read Candice, which blew me off. I know she's bright and I had my
expectations of her, but her answer was too risky. It would be hard to convince
everyone to do it. Nevertheless she has proven a point and the way she defended
it with Prince James made me rethink the possibility.
"Isn't it the same
all together? Exactly as Ms. Reynolds' idea, civilians are whom who suffers the
most at war. Yes, I realize it’s risky. But isn't your idea risky as well?
Isn't strategizing the same as risking? What possible way is there to win war
without making risks? To quote Ms. Reynolds once more, war should end, and we
couldn't wait no more. Besides, Your Highness, can you imagine if it works?
Risks are always double sided. But what's good about it is if ever it works,
the result is much better, to quote the Queen's statement before. As people who
lead, we are after the permanent, the many, the future."
That's
the kind of answer I was looking for, something out of the box, something witty
but not too reckless.
My
thoughts were cut off when Don came up to me, whispering, "Your Majesty,
we have the scores counted."
"Announce
it," I ordered, and braced myself for the name he's going to mention.
"The
highest," Don spoke, "Who scored 94 out of 100, is..." He
paused, and I knew my expression of anxiety is showing, but I didn't care. "The
highest is Ms. Regerett."
I
inhaled.
"Prince
James, His Highness, scored 91 out of 100. And Ms. Reynolds scored 88 out of
100."
James'
expression was blank, but Olivia started crying by the corner, wiping away
tears as James approached her. I stood and called for Candice. She has won. I
won.
"Candice,"
I pulled her over for a hug, "Congratulations my dear! I knew it! I knew
you can do it!"
She
whispered, "Thank you, Your Majesty. And may I finally ask where is this
place we have to go to?"
I
smiled, wanting to tell her right then, but I have to tell James as well. So I
called him over.
"Your
Majesty," he greeted, "I believe you have won. And based from Candice's
score and essay, I couldn't disagree." Olivia was looped in his arms. I
disregarded it. I thought it was good idea anyway if she knows the agenda as
well.
"Very
well," I said, "Tomorrow, both of you," I glanced at James, and
then at Candice, "Both of you shall represent the Ravn-Family Foundation.
Tomorrow's activity was originally organized by his late Crown Prince, but both
of you must carry this responsibility instead. The Parliament has asked all the
activities of the Foundation be postponed, but I don't see the point of doing
so, just because..." I paused, not knowing how to address my son's death.
"I
know this," the Prince said, "I read it from my Father's desk. If I
am not mistaken, tomorrow's agenda will take place at the whole municipality of
Verseed."
"Yes,"
I said, nodding along as each one of the tutors made their leave, "You
will be visiting orphanages, schools, and the community itself. St. Therese's
Orphanage is Petersen's favorite. You are listed to visit this on your way as
well. You must leave early tomorrow to be in time for Verseed's float parade
around the afternoon."
"But
Verseed is so far away," Olivia suddenly said, "They can't be
arriving tomorrow and leaving the same day." She looked horrible with her
eyes swollen, and her troubled face. And quite honestly I was surprised she was
familiar with Wolland's cities.
"In
that case, we'll both be expecting you on Monday."
I
saw the Prince's grip tightened on Olivia's. But I expected it. Verseed is at
the border of Wolland. Aircraft will have to land at Orzagen City, which is
still a half-hour drive to Verseed. Tomorrow's activity, I doubt, would last
for a couple hours. Besides, they both needed their rest before they travel
back to the capital.
"I've
already told Jackson to make all the preparations. You have nothing to worry
about. You are all dismissed," I waved my hand, gesturing them all to go.
"Not if you're going
to be a great King."
POV: Candice Regerett
First
week at the Palace and somehow I still can't get the old lady's hum from my
Father's estate, out of my head. I find myself feeling empty at night. I
scurried out of bed, yet again, and wondered if it was the night air that's
whispering me goodnight. For it had always beenafter a walk that I feel good
inside. Dinner tonight was silent than usual. Everyone congratulated us three
for passing the assessments. And the Crown Princess was glad that I'll be
joining Prince James at Verseed tomorrow, to represent not only the Ravn-Family
Foundation, but the late Crown Prince's legacy as well. This I am glad. But
moreover, I have won. I scored highest. And that I'm sure my Father will be
proud of. Besides, I think this visit at Verseed will be the perfect starting
point, to show the Prince I am not evil, therefore he can trust me, and I can
help him, which all together benefits us all.
I
wish to get this over with, so I can return to my Father's estate, hopeful that
he will still accept me. My thoughts wandered to what if he wouldn't? What if
he won't be welcoming me back, like he has said? I shook off the idea, trying
not to overthink.
Right
now, my goal is to help the Prince.
I
headed to Thorssen Garden, as the sound of the fountain seems to seduce me. But
as I got there, I realized it wasn't just the fountain. It was the sound of the
piano coming from Kofoed Assembly. I thought of at that instant the image of
Prince James, lost in the melody just as I am right now, bringing myself
closer.
Then
I saw him, playing a different tune. It was different, somewhat lighter. It was
not joyful so to say but it's definitely not as sad as the last time. But it
seems like his playing was unsure. I was once again hiding, but I figured I
don't want to give him yet another reason to doubt me. So I walked closer, and
I expected him to stop and look up, to ask why am I once again watching him.
But he kept playing.
When
he did stop, he didn't look up. His wavy blonde locks were covering half of his
face.
"That's
somewhat disappointing," I said, "The song you're playing." He
looked up at me with questioning eyes. But he didn't look surprised at all,
meaning he knew I was in front him, meaning it was okay to talk.
"It
didn't hold a meaning, unlike the last time."
"It's
not yet done. I am still writing it," he stood up showing me a piece of
paper with staffs and music notes. Most of it has crossed marks and arrows
pointing to another staff. "See?" He said.
I
leaned closer to see, but kept the distance. His voice sounds friendly though,
which I found very unusual. Back when they announced at the Grand Library that
I topped the assessments, I thought he would push Olivia's score, but he
didn't. His reaction of my essay wasn't expected as well, for I thought it
would be worse. When he asked a question, it wasn't as if he was criticizing,
but just plain curious.
"I've
heard you play the piano while in Scotland, is it true?" My voice sounded
casual. He was walking closer to me, but he kept walking until he reached the
door of Kofoed. I thought at that instant he will leave me, but he replied,
"Something to pass off time, I guess. Your information is scarce though, I
play the piano, yes, but sometimes, I play the violin as well."
"Pass
off time for what?" I asked once again. I can't help it. I was curious. It
was as if reading the beginning of the book. You have all these theories, and
you want to find out more so it drives you until the end of the book, until you
prove your theories right or wrong.
He
continued walking, reaching the Garden outside. I followed him, hopeful to hear
his answer.
Every
time I see him out and about, he is always wearing his daytime clothes, whereas
I am wearing my nightgown. I felt myself blush from embarrassment.
"To
marry Olivia." He reached for a shrub, pulled a leaf and threw it at the
ground. And then he did it again, like a habit.
"That
seems convenient. Too convenient I do believe," I said. By then he turned
around to face me.
"I
don't care what you believe," he said. And that moment I was scared I was
driving him away, again.
"But
you care what the Queen believes." He turned his back from me, and was silent
under the moonlight. I continued, "Let me help you."
He
chuckled. "By asking me to marry you instead?"
I
laughed. He turned around, again, his eyes in a maze. "No, Prince. Let me
help you prove the Queen wrong of your engagement. Isn't that what you wanted
as well?"
He
walked closer to me. "What is it you want, Candice? What are you really
doing here?"
I
walked passed him. "I... I don't know why I am here, Prince. But I know
why I should be staying."
"What
did the Queen ask of you exactly?" He followed me.
"To
help you, Prince. Only if you answer one more question."
He
was silent, perhaps weighing my request.
"What's
the question for?" He asked.
"To
help you, I must know if you're willing to help yourself, therefore I must know
why you stay. I know why you are here, because of your Father, the late Crown
Prince. But I don't understand why you stay, Prince, when you have a choice to
marry Olivia outside Wolland. You had that. Yet you are here."
"Indeed..."
He replied instantly. "I ask myself the same thing."
"Do
you want to be King?"
His
expression changed alarmingly. "Excuse me?"
"For
you may have to need extra people to work under your wing. You need me."
"Is
that your idea of helping me?"
I
nodded.
"Won't
you be defying the Queen?" He asked.
"Not
if you're going to be a great King."
"To be here right now."
POV:
James Bret Nikolai Ravn Østergaard
"Not
if you're going to be a great King," she said, and I was taken aback. Now
I see the girl who answered the Queen's essay a while ago.
I
deliberately changed the topic. "Do you play the piano? I notice your keen
observation of music."
I
walked ahead of her, almost reaching the center of the Garden, the fountain.
"I've never played an instrument before, Prince."
She
was looking sideways, from Kofoed.
"What
is it?" I asked, following her gaze. At first I thought she was looking at
Lautsen Garden behind the Assembly, but I notice her gaze was far ahead,
towards the woods, to the Kassandra Grounds, far behind Kofoed Assembly.
"Have
you seen the entirety of the Palace?" She asked, still looking lost at the
woods.
"Not
the entirety, but most of it, yes. Why do you ask?" I stand beside her,
and I still couldn't guess what she was curious of.
"Because
I've heard of Kassandra Hall. And I haven't seen it yet." Finally, she
broke her gaze. And now she was looking directly to my eyes. I realized she was
taller than I thought of her, now that we're standing side by side. She's as
tall as far as where my ears are, unlike Olivia who is slightly shorter, only
reaching my shoulder.
"Kassandra
Hall? Why do you wish to go there? It's mostly empty." She glanced back at
Kassandra's direction.
"Empty
of physical things, yes. But not of spirit. There is love that roams that hall,
is there not?"
I
find myself nodding, "Love? Why, Candice, are you in love?" I asked,
before I was able to stop myself. I can't help it. This conversation seemed
more casual than anything I've ever had with anyone. It seemed natural. It
seems real.
She
laughed, walking farther ahead, to the direction of the woods, but stopped,
"Me? How can I be ever in love? But that is an irrelevant question,
Prince. Because I see no point in being in love to believe in love."
"How
old are you?" I asked out of the hand.
She
laughed again, making me laugh along. "I ask of your age, Lady
Candice!"
"Nineteen.
I'm nineteen."
"Very
young. Just like Princess Kassandra, when she died. She was twenty. Do you know
of the story?"
She
laughed, once more. She seems to laugh a lot. "I think everybody does,
Prince. It is in fact my favorite love story, not that I've heard so
many."
"Do
you know that the late King Alexanderth knew of Princess Kassandra's sickness
before they were even married?"
"People
outside the Palace, I assume, had missed that," she said.
"He
did, but he didn't tell anyone. Because once the King knew, he wouldn't have
accepted her in the Palace."
She
was nodding, smiling distantly. "So he married her to have her die in his
arms?"
"He
married her to have Kassandra Hall be built and named after her." I was
looking distantly as well, and I felt Candice's burning stare as I spoke,
"I say it’s a waste of space."
"I
don't agree, Prince. King Alexanderth is one of the great rulers of the 20th
century. Besides, he was the one who moved the resident Palace here in the
first place. And imagine his agony when his beloved died."
"He
shouldn't have married her then," I replied, and I knew Candice has more
to say. But for some reason, she remained quiet, so I brought another topic.
"How
did you find the assessment?" I asked.
"Quite
challenging. I've heard you prepared it yourself?" She was walking back
towards Thorssen Garden.
"Indeed."
"I
find some of the questions intended to confuse me," she noted.
"I
doubt it didn't."
She
turned around, and smiled.
"Nervous
for tomorrow?" I asked.
"Yes
actually. I've never been in Verseed, never been outside the capital."
My
eyes widened. "What?! You never left the capital? You’ve never been
outside Gopezt? Not once?" She nodded. "Why?"
"I
didn't have time," she shrugged.
I
laughed, "Too busy doing what?"
"To
be here right now."
“This is a homerun for us, if you
promise to try harder."
POV:
James Bret Nikolai Ravn Østergaard
"I
have failed, James..." Olivia sobbed in between tears, as she clung to me.
The Sunday sun barely made its way out, but I had to leave early with Candice
to maximize the day. I bid Olivia goodbye while she was asleep but she followed
me out in the hallways of Lautsen.
I
patted her back, "Don't say that. It isn't over yet.”
I
released her, as she wipes away her tears. I tucked a strand of her red hair
behind her ear. "Let's leave now, James. Let's go to Scotland, or anywhere
else in the world besides Wolland," she pleaded, crying as she knelt in
front of me.
"Hey,"
I knelt beside her, trying to push her hand covering her face. "You told
me I should stay. We can't leave now, Livy. If we leave, we let them win. My
responsibility is here, as you have said before, remember?"
She
did tell me to stay, I remember precisely. And at the time I was so broken. Her
words had given me strength.
“Then
suffer I shall, if by all means that is the only way I can be with you,” she
said.
She was so determined then, that’s why I
was confident when I agreed to stay. But now hearing Olivia give up is really
disappointing to hear. It has only just begun. And this is not the time to run.
The Palace life, I knew from the beginning is far from ordinary life. As
Royalty, there are sacrifices one must do, and mistakes one must learn from.
There is blood within the halls of the Palace, and lies beneath the Palace
Grounds. It is a dirty place. And thinking about these reminds me of why I ran
away in the first place. But now here I am, more determined as I was eight
years ago. And I’m beginning to see the light. I’m beginning to rethink of my
impression of being a Prince. Maybe because of Candice. I rewind our
conversation last night.
"I... I don't
know why I am here, Prince. But I know why I should be staying."
"For you may
have to need extra people to work under your wing. You need me."
"Not if you're
going to be a great King."
Maybe it’s foolish to believe in her words.
But I couldn't help but picture the Palace life impossible by myself. That’s
why I needed Olivia. But I wonder if I can need others too, like Candice. She
has been open to politics more than I. Her intellect is truly superb, and the
Queen’s essay only proved it. Quite clever, but smart nonetheless. Maybe she’s
the kind of person a King needs, an adviser, and a trustee. And maybe she has
given me strength too, strength I didn’t expect to get from the Queen’s side.
Olivia
looked up at me, shaking her head, "What about me? Aren't I your
responsibility as well? I know I told you to stay, but I give up. I am not
Palace material, James. I am nothing compared to Candice. She's perfect."
"My
responsibility is with the Palace now, Livy, as long as I stay. And if you stay
with me, then it extends to you as well." I finger brushed her hair,
hoping my words can calm her down. This is the Olivia I know, always so
dependent of me. I promised to protect her, and I shall. "Candice? Don't
bother yourself with her, Livy. She's not our enemy anymore. In fact, we have
no enemies anymore. This is a homerun for us, if you promise to try
harder."
"What
do you mean?" She stood up, and I followed.
"Just
promise you'll never give up, Livy. I'll take care of the rest."
My
words seemed to reassure her, like it always did. And now she finally said,
"I'll see you soon, then, my Love." By then, she reached up for a light
kiss.
No comments:
Post a Comment