Monday, 15 July 2013

BMP: Epilogue


E P I L O G U E
POV: Candice Keller
…Today is a special day for Wolland. Today we celebrate our origin. Today we celebrate our heroes. Today we celebrate our history. Today we celebrate ourselves, as free men.
Happy Independence Day, Wolland!
Voice echoed from the television screen, and I can’t help but wonder if the Prince's King's speech was impromptu.
I still remember the last memory I had of James, while he was laying asleep, than one cold night in September. It was the night Henri, the Crown Princess Dowager Princess, and I had planned everything. I had asked Henri a favor he couldn’t turn down. He owed me that much and it wasn’t hard to get the Dowager’s permission, since it was all to help her husband anyway, the late Crown Prince Petersen. Morning the next day, at exactly 7:04, I took several pills of Oxycodone. And we synchronized Henri’s phone call, which awoken the Prince. And I knew the moment he realize me gone, he’d look for me. Of course, Henri was watching it all, that if the phone call ddidn't work, he’d rush in to look for me. But he knew Prince James would pick up, since they have been working together to find the doctor who was involved in the Prime Minister’s case.
The rest was taken care of by the Dowager, how she made James believe I was dead, and how she convinced him not to seek for my body.
I was revived with difficulty, but the Naloxone greatly helped. Naloxone is a drug used to counter effects of overdose. I realized what I did was risky. But I think it was worth it.
I spent the next three months travelling across places with Henri to seek for the missing doctor, until finally we discovered him in Ireland.
Henri knew if he shows up, he’d be punished as well, since he was a part of it all to begin with. But he saw it coming.
Thankfully, he was only banned, so we (Henri, my Mother, and I) left Wolland right away, and settled in the Philippines, my Mother’s hometown.
We were able to live just enough, at first scarcely. But all had been well since I am with my family.
It was hard leaving King James, but I always believe what I did was only to help him.
“Miss him?” my Mother showed up, sitting just beside me on our cheap sofa set.
“It’s been seven years, Mother. Don’t you think by now I had moved on?” I brushed away my emotions to greatly convince my Mother. She was shorter than I expected, but we share her dark expressive eyes. Her voice was calm, and I remember distinctly her voice, only this time, she isn’t singing to me from afar.
“Are you saying that to convince me, or to convince yourself? Because sweetheart, it’s not working,” she said.
And that hit me like a bullet.
I do miss him. I miss him terribly I still dream about him. I clasped the crown pendant I had around my neck, the necklace James gave me years ago. I always do every time there’s a mention of his name, which is like every second from my brain.
“Here,” Mother handed me an envelope.
I examined it carefully, “What is it?”
“Plane ticket and money allowance your brother saved up from work,” she said.
“No!” I declined, “I can’t take this.”
“Please, you must,” Mother pressed the envelope in my palm, “You’ve been away for so long, too long even. Your brother believes he owes you. He won’t take no for an answer, you know that, for you’re the same.”
Just the thought of going back brought tears to my eyes. I am going back. I am going back to Wolland.
Question is, will I have anything to go back for?

POV: Adam James Nikolai Ravn Østergaard
“Halt!” I hollered, and the Royal car immediately stopped.
“What is it, Your Highness?” Jackson asked from the front seat.
Yes, I think it’s her.
I know it’s her.
It’s Candice!
***
“I’ll have the cappuccino,” she ordered at the counter. From afar it’s hard to be sure, but something inside me screams her name. It was Candice. It has to be.
She cut her hair short, only reaching her shoulders. Also, she wears something unusual, something I haven’t seen so casual of Candice - jeans, plain t-shirt, a backpack, and sneakers.
“Candice?” I called, and she turned around instantly, her eyes widening.
It is her!
I remember one conversation with my brother, the King James, when I was thirteen. He apologized then, for lying when he told me he’d marry Olivia instead. But I was a kid then. Sure, I admired Candice. I would have married her if given the opportunity, at the right time. But it wasn’t something I’d get mad at my brother for.
I am sixteen now and my brother still expects the return of Candice. He always believed she wasn’t dead. No one else believed him though, except for me. But I only did so to comfort my brother, especially lately since the public has been asking for a Royal Marriage, or wondering if there’s going to be any. Everybody was pushing him or else they will appoint me Crown Prince.
But standing in front of Candice, I realized my brother was right.
“Prince… Adam?” she asked, smiling.
I hugged her right then, so tight I’m sure her cappuccino spilled.
“Candice!” I broke the hug, ushering her to the side, for people were starting to give us the look, “How... are you alive? How are you here… alive?”
I looked her up and down, and when I returned to her face, she had tears in her eyes.
“I came back… I came back –
I cut her off, finishing her sentence, “I must take you to the Palace now, Candice. My brother will be so surprised!”

POV: James Bret Nikolai Ravn Østergaard
Another restless night.
Usually, when I couldn’t sleep at night, I’d take a stroll, or would read a book at the Royal Library, hoping, though seeming impossible now as years go by, to catch Candice there.
I never believed her dead, at least not 100%. If state of denial was the first step to acceptance, then the staircase doesn’t lead anywhere, for I’d been riding the same bandwagon for seven years.
But maybe, just maybe.
I reached Kofoed Assembly, and started playing the song I’ve previously written for Candice. I did the violin counterpart too, but was unable to play it both at the same time. If only Candice can play the piano while I do the violin, then it’d be just like the time we played in harmony.
Then I felt a presence. It was something familiar. Not the presence though, but the scene. I figured it was just me, once again, replaying the times Candice and I shared nights along the Palace Grounds. I remember Candice watching me play the piano. I remember the same presence.
I laughed at myself, and then looked at the doorstep of Kofoed Assembly.
“You seem to have this habit of watching me,” I said out loud, while I rewind the memory.
And then an image appeared, and my fingers froze on the keys.
Candice?
She nodded, as if confirming she’s real.
I stood up, as we approach each other.
Stopping midway, I spoke, “What… took you so long, Candy?”
She had tears in her eyes, and she looked quite different with her short hair. But it was the same Candice. It was the same person I love.
“Plane ticket…” she joked, “Did you know how expensive it is to travel?”
We still kept the distance, refraining to touch one another. At least for me, scared that when I do, she’d turn into smoke and disappear once again.
She smiled, and I saw her single dimple I’ve missed so much.
“Well, I’m pretty sure it’s been hard for you, since you’re a Regerett,” I noted, and I regretted it instantly.
How can I bring it up again?
But she didn’t seem to mind, instead flashed me a satisfied smile, “Actually… I’m a Keller now.”
Candice Keller.
“Well, Candice Keller, where have you been?” I asked curiously.
“Philippines,” she said, “My Mother’s from the Philippines.”
“And what brought you back?” I asked again.
“Wolland,” she answered straightaway. And I expected more, but there was none.
“Oh,” I mumbled, “Well, are you here to serve Wolland? Do you want a position?”
“Hmm…” she thought for a while, eyeing me. I don’t know where this conversation is leading. But I’m reading Candice’s face, and it seems like she’s up for another clever conversation. I just rode along.
“That would be nice,” she commented, merely smiling.
What is this? Another mind game?
“Anything but the Prime Minister though. It brings too many troubles,” she laughed.
“Well, I have a better idea,” I said, “Candice Keller, will you be my princess?

T H E – E N D
B E – M Y – P R I N C E S S
Lilah Gran

No comments:

Post a Comment