Chapter 3
“And actually, I’m the
Prime Minister now.”
POV: James Bret Nikolai
Ravn Østergaard
I wonder where Olivia was, but I don’t want
to face her right now. I feel so low, and I don’t want her to see me like this.
I bolted out of the Royal Quarters and marched around without direction. And then I saw the Royal Library, as if it’s
encouraging me to enter.
I needed to think, to gather my thoughts,
and organize a plan. Perhaps a library would be the perfect place for that.
I entered the double doors, and approached
me is the familiar scent of old books. I was about to come forward when I saw
something move on one corner.
I knew I wasn’t alone.
“Who’s in there?” I demanded, “Show
yourself!”
I awaited the reveal, but whoever it was
must be playing with me. And I wasn’t in the mood for games. I took a few steps
closer, but remained the distance. “Show yourself or I will call the Royal
guards!”
Another motion, and walked out in between
tall bookshelves was a girl. She looked very familiar, as I know I’ve seen her
before. She
was young, perhaps twenty of age or less, with jet black hair, and round
expressive eyes. She was wearing something casual, but something very
sophisticated as well. White shorts looped a black belt, black long sleeve coat
over a white sheer blouse. We caught eyes for a split second, before I moved
towards her.
She
took a bow, and remained her gaze low.
“You!”
I exclaimed, “What are you doing here?”
She
didn’t answer. And I saw, from behind her, on her hand, is a book. I grabbed it
and leveled it on her sight.
She
was looking at my hand, instead of the book I was holding. And then I realized
it was my ring she was looking at; the ring that symbolizes my being Royalty.
Inscribed into it is my name, and I had it since I was born. Every Royalty owns
his own ring, with his name engraved into it. It depicts the Royal Insignia.
“This
is the Royal Library!” I said, “Which means only members of the Royal Family is
allowed in. How did you get in here?
“Are
you about to steal this?” I shook the book, and she finally spoke to defend
herself, for the first time hearing her voice, both so scared yet holds a
definite amount of conviction, “No, Your Highness… I was only reading it…”
“Reading
it?” I was about to say something more, but the doors re-opened, and stepping
in is a man of fifties, who didn’t seem to notice me while he spoke, “Candice,
we must go.” And when he looked up and saw me, I imagine him on his knees,
begging for my forgiveness. But he was proud. In fact, he flashed a smile upon
seeing me, “Your Highness… I didn’t expect to see you here.” Then he glanced to
this Candice, who walked to stand just behind him.
“Go
wait for me outside,” he whispered to Candice who looked at me once and left.
He
bowed, “I deeply apologize if my daughter has in any way disrespected you, Your
Highness.”
So
this is her Father. For a while we’re staring at each other. He was fierce and
determined, maybe too much for him to consider glancing away. He was still
smiling.
And
like a memory coming back, I suddenly feel like I’ve seen him before.
“You,”
I said, “I remember you…”
His
smile was steady but empty, like a mockery. I almost wanted to punch him.
“You
are a Minister, are you not? I remember seeing you in these halls before.”
“That
took you a long time to realize.” He bowed, this time, a more formal one, “I
greet you, Prince James.
“And
actually, I’m the Prime Minister now.”
“But you see, it isn’t up
to me now, but the Queen.”
POV:
Elisabeth Bach
I
need to talk to my son. I need to see James to convince him somehow to stay.
Now that the Crown Prince has passed away, he has become our only hope. It has
been hours since Petersen drew his last breath, and I wished to lock myself up
in a room, but I knew it wasn’t logical to do so. I need to keep my head up. I
need to stabilize the House. I couldn’t imagine James in the same room as the
Queen. They are both stubborn in their own way, that I feel it impossible for
them to get a common ground. It is my husband, the Crown Prince, who always
came in between the two. James, as a child, admired the Queen. They spent so
much time together and Petersen and I always thought it would do him great, and
would help him become a true Prince. But she wasn’t just his Grandmother, but
the Queen of Wolland. And he saw and heard things he shouldn’t have had at such
a young age. His inborn curiosity got the best of him.
But
he is my son, still. And in a way I must understand why he left. Partly I
blamed myself, for allowing James to see the realities of life at a very young
age. Maybe if we allowed him to see these naturally in due time, he wouldn’t
have held such a grudge to the Palace.
Tomorrow,
when the news breaks out of the Crown Prince’s death, we must have a stable ground
for the public to lean on. The position of the Crown Prince must not be left
empty. And only James can stabilize that situation.
I
left our room, the Crown Prince’s room, with hopes on James. And when I asked
Jackson of his whereabouts, I was told that he is currently speaking to the
Queen. So I must wait. But when he left the Royal Quarters, he looked so mad. I
decided to give him more time to clear his mind. He barely noticed my presence
anyway.
I
dismissed my servants hoping to spend the next hour wandering around the
grounds, and I can’t help but look back at the time when I first met the Crown
Prince. We were in early teen hood, and my Father was the Minister of Defense
at the time. It was the late Princess Dowager’s Annabeth’s (King Lupert Bret Schrøder-Ravn’s wife) 90th birthday celebration, and everyone
was invited to the Palace. I wasn’t really good with people then, of course
that was before I became the Crown Princess, so I snuck out of the party and
roamed around. It wasn’t of my knowledge that Peterson was following me. When I
nearly lost my way, that’s when he showed up.
I
remember:
“Little
lost precious one?” He approached me very calmly, hands on his back, his hair
dancing with the wind, and his eyes burning me with embarrassment.
He
looked more of the Prince Consort with the structure of his face and all, but
his eyes were as blue as the Queen's. He has dark hair, cleanly cut. The Ravns
are well known for the contrast of their dark hair and blue eyes, which Prince
Hendrick also inherited.
I
wasn’t able to say anything, yet Prince Petersen kept me entertained for the
rest of the night, telling jokes here and there, and bragging about the Palace.
Years
had gone by, and I would constantly beg my Father to take me to the Palace. But
of course, he can’t. And then one day we received a Royal Summoning when I was
eighteen. When I arrived, the Prince merely proposed. It was simple, hurried,
but magical in all angles. I was in love with that fourteen year old boy, as I
am today and forevermore.
I
was lost in our own memories that subconsciously, I headed to the exact place
where Petersen and I first met. I closed my eyes briefly, and when I opened
them, I saw Jackson approaching me.
“Your
Highness, Prince James and Miss are on their way to leave.”
“What?!
Where are they?”
Jackson
led me back inside Thorssen Assembly, where I saw James with his fiancé walking
their way out of the Palace.
I
called out. Never will I let James, once again, walk away from me.
“James!”
He followed my voice and saw me approaching. He wore a blue polo shirt tucked
underneath his trousers. I glanced at his fiancé and I can’t help but feel
jealous. He had chosen her over us, over me. And it pains me to think about it.
James left when he was fifteen years old, and now he has grown up completely I
barely recognized him earlier. But I admit seeing him hand in hand with his
younger brother, Adam, made me feel warm inside.
“Before
you leave, I was wondering if you can join me for some tea…”
He
looked at his fiancé as if asking for her permission. And I knew if I ask only
of his acquaintance, he wouldn’t accept. So I asked the girl along, so he would
feel at ease.
“Of
course, that offer extends to the both of you.”
James
whispered something to her, which I couldn’t quite register. But eventually,
they agreed.
I
asked Jackson to prepare us some chai tea and prepare the Summoning Room for
us.
***
It
was a little awkward at first, sharing tea with my son after eight years with
his possible wife. The Summoning Room is slightly smaller than the Royal
Quarters, nevertheless resembles the interior.
“So,
Olivia, is it?” I turned to her, seated beside James of course, across me.
She
nodded, “Yes, Your Highness.”
Olivia
does look pretty, average, but still pretty. She’s petite and that curly red
hair of hers is surely an asset, an accessory to her plain black dress. But she
looked scared and weak. She would struggle with life in the Palace, as I did at
first, but I knew I had wanted it then. I had seen this life ahead. I was
exposed to it. But Olivia was from Scotland, nothing but ordinary. I wonder if
she knew what awaits her if she chooses the Palace. Or maybe it is my fear for
her that is the same fear of losing James all over again.
“And
what do you do?”
She
was about to speak, but James spoke for her in behalf. “She’s a waitress. The
best one at that.” He patted her on the shoulder, smiling as if the proudest,
but it’s obvious to see Olivia’s look of humiliation.
“A
waitress?” I confirmed, unable to sound less judgmental. I stopped myself from
speaking more.
I
turned to James.
“My
Prince, you don’t have to leave so soon.” I gripped my cup of tea and took it
closer to my mouth for a sip, anticipating his reaction.
“I
wish so too Mother. But you see, it isn’t up to me now, but the Queen.”
“The
Queen? I’m sure she would want you to stay as much as I do, my Prince. You are
after all the Crown Prince now.”
He
glanced at Olivia once again.
“I
have stated my conditions, Mother. And I’m sure the Queen is weighing down her
options by now.”
He
was smiling, but I see his hidden agenda. It’s funny how I seem to not know my
son anymore, and worse, it makes me wonder if I did knew him at all.
There
was a knock on the door, and Jackson invited himself in.
“Your
Highness,” he greeted me first, and then turned to James, “Your Highness. The
Queen has asked for you down the Agerskov Office.”
James
laughed, as if he expected the summoning. “See Mother, it turns out that I will
be staying after all. If you care to keep Olivia company for me, Mother?”
“Of
course, my Prince,” was all I can say, too shock and proud of his cleverness.
“I must have my contender
on this game of yours.”
POV: Margarett Katherine
Ravn-Østergaard
I
cannot believe that the Crown Prince just died, and here I am replacing him at
the same day he left us. I am mourning. But I keep reminding myself that I
didn’t just lose a son, but an heir to the throne. And I must pursue what is
more important. I can mourn some other day. Before I became a Mother, I was the
Crown Princess, the Queen.
My
Father, the late King Lupert Bret Schrøder-Ravn, showed me the advantage of the
public eye. The Monarchy, the House, is the people’s backbone. They see us as
powerful, and therefore, such power we must show them. But power can be
stripped away, even for a Royalty. Without an heir, the Parliament will heat
up. Some of the Parties have already questioned the existence of the House. If
it weren’t for the public, we would no longer exist. My Father told me never to
make that happen. Our ancestors have sacrificed so much for Wolland, that we
must maintain the pride of the House. We stopped the system of Absolute
Monarchy because we want to show Wolland that we don’t ‘own’ them. We simply
represent them, in a way that we do now with the Parliament. Our power,
technically, is limited to non-partisan and ceremonial functions. But the
people see more than that. No matter what happens, at the end of the day, the
House must remain standing.
James
is the second to succession, while Adam is the third. If I let go of James,
Adam will be the Crown Prince. But he is too young, and I’m too old. James is
the logical choice, perhaps the only choice.
I
freed myself from my own thoughts when Jackson let himself in. The Agerskov
Office is the official business room for the Royalty. The room itself is
divided in two semi-rooms, both holding desks. These two rooms are linked to
another room containing the conference table, where Agerskov’s main door can be
found, where I was seated, waiting for the Prince.
“Your
Majesty, the Prince has arrived,” he announced.
“Let
him in.”
He
walked in, head’s held high. And for a second, I let myself envision him as
King.
“Take
a seat, my Prince.”
And
he did, on the opposite end of the conference table.
I
tried to observe him. He seemed confident, but that’s a given. He knew his
conditions are absolute. And he knew all along, I’d agree to them. But even if
I do end up playing along his game, I must play with my luck as well.
Forfeiting is the last scenario. I have to have a back straw. If he’s up for a
challenge, then that challenge I must accept. But I must not fight blind. And I
know exactly how to stir it up.
“I’ve
thought of your conditions, my Prince.”
He
isn’t responding.
“And
I will accept them, given my own conditions.”
I
think he saw it coming. He didn’t seem surprised at all. He flashed a smile and
then said, “What will these conditions be?”
“You’re
right my Prince. I do not know this Olivia of yours to judge her. Therefore, I
must get to know her first.” James sat back and leaned on his chair, possibly
anticipating more from me.
“She
must stay here, at the Palace, with you. But I will decide to acknowledge her
in three months. In the given time, she must learn the etiquette, and the ways
of the Palace, Wolland history and culture, and even the laws that govern this
land. If she proves herself worthy, then I will give her the rightful
acknowledgment you want,” I said.
He
smiled, and I can sense him laughing inside.
“Oh
Grandma, what about my second condition?” He repeated the terms, “You will give her the title of a Crown Princess, when I
marry her, or I won’t stay.”
“Your
condition is one-sided my Prince. I will give her the acknowledgment you want
if she earns it, and when she does, a marriage won’t be a problem. And
marriages with a Prince always carry a title. That won’t be a problem.
“If
she fails, and that’s up to her, then both of you can go.”
He
seemed to have not seen that coming. His walls must be breaking down, or maybe
I’m just seeing through them, for I sensed him tensing.
“I
will give you a chance, if you give us
all a chance. That’s how negotiation works. Therefore, I have my own
conditions to top yours.
“You
have challenged me, my Prince. You have Olivia to represent you, but who will
represent me?”
He
squinted.
“That’s
when all of this become fair, my Prince. I must have my contender on this game
of yours.”
I
stood up and turned towards the far end of the room, with my back facing the
conference table, not wanting to face him when I say it.
“I
will bring someone to the Palace. A candidate for Crown Princess, one I see fit
for the position. And at the end of the terms, you will choose between Olivia
and this girl as your Princess, as you marry her.”
I
heard him laugh, same with the sound of a chair pulling back. He must have
stood up.
“Your
condition is flawed, Grandmother, for I will choose Olivia regardless.”
“Then
you have nothing to lose.” I faced him from the other end of the room with my
stare fiercer than ever. “Of course you only get to choose if Olivia gains my
approval. If not, then you must both go. Olivia will leave without anything to
lose, for she still has you. But when you leave, James, you will leave behind
your title as well. You will no longer be a member of the Royal Family, and
therefore must live on your own, outside the help of Princess Veronika.”
He
took a while before he replied, his voice cracking, “Three months then.”
“Your Father speaks the
great of you.”
POV: Candice Regerett
My
Father has once again asked me to go to the Palace today. And I can’t help but
wonder why. I spent the last time idling around, and now that the Crown Prince
has passed away, I see no other reason to visit again. Besides, the Palace is
mourning. When we passed by the Holbæk Palace, where the Parliament and the
Parties meet, my heart can’t help but ache when I saw the Wolland flag at
half-mast, raised halfway from the pole. The morning seemed too timid, and the
breeze was too humid.
When
we reached the steps of Thorssen Assembly, I noticed that Father didn’t do his
usual routine of inhaling whatever it is that surrounds the Palace’s
atmosphere. Instead, his gaze was straight. And then three servants came down
from the steps and addressed me as “My Lady.” It seemed rather weird.
And
then my Father turned to me, half-smiling, and pointed to the main entrance of
the Palace.
“Why
don’t you go ahead, dear darling?”
I
looked at him with questioning eyes, but he returned it the same.
I
went on, very carefully, and the three servants followed me. They wore the same
outfits. Black skirts, coat and white blouse underneath with a miniature
Wolland flag pinned on their left chest. The one in the middle looked slightly
taller, and she seemed happy for whatever she’s doing.
I
took each step slowly, wondering why for the first time ever, my Father let me
walk ahead of him. And then I glanced back, and I saw our car leaving. I looked
around only to realize that my Father is nowhere in sight. I hurried back down
and shouted his name, but one of the servants stopped me from pursuing our car.
“My
Lady, the Queen has been waiting for you. You must see Her Majesty right away!”
I
looked at the three of them desperately. “Where did Father go?” I asked.
“Perhaps
back home, my Lady,” spoke the one in the middle, the tallest girl who has
brunette shoulder length hair.
***
At
first I thought they were accompanying me to see the Queen at the Royal
Quarters, but they stopped midway. They took me at the Royal Library.
“The
Queen is inside, my Lady,” said the tallest girl.
I
went in, shaking, wondering what is going on.
The
familiar setting of the Royal Library approached me. Bookshelves lined up
according to sections, and reading tables and chairs are everywhere. From one
of the shelves, adjacent to the huge window, I saw the Queen standing, looking
up at the tallest row of books.
“Your
Majesty, I have arrived,” I announced myself, for she was alone. It was the
first time I ever saw the Queen without company, without Jackson at that.
She
turned to me, smiling. She wore her crown, but her black gown signifies it all.
“Oh
Candice!” She greeted me, with open arms, tempting me to come closer.
When
I reached her, she pulled me for a hug. And I felt the tension in my spine.
“I
am sorry,” she said, cupping my face, “You see, I just announced the news this
morning. I didn’t have the luxury of time to change clothes. Your Father was
very excited.”
She
held my arm and pulled me closer, to exactly where she was standing a while
ago.
“Come
along,” she says.
“My
Father is very excited for what, Your Majesty?”
She
was sliding her fingers through the line up of books, probably seeking for one
very specific.
“Why,
your arrival here, of course!”
“I
saw him leave before me. What am I doing here, Your Majesty?” I dared to ask.
Compared to my Father, I am more comfortable to raise questions with the Queen.
She has always been warm to me, ever since we met when my Father was first
appointed Prime Minister of Wolland. She would share stories with me, and
knowledge of books, and she even shared the Royal Library to keep me company
while I am here.
“To
stay, my dear Candice,” she stopped and turned to me, brushing my hair back.
And
then she flicked her eye, as if spotting what she was looking for. It was on
the opposite shelf. When she came back to me, she was holding a big book.
When
she held it up, I saw the title “Wolland’s Royal Family: The Houses of the New
Government”. I looked at the Queen, who was smiling back at the book she was holding.
“They
say being Royalty is through blood, but I say it’s through legacy,” she was
caressing the book. “You don’t just become Queen, you live as a Queen.”
“Here,”
she offered me the book, “Take a peek.”
And
I did. It was heavy, but luckily I could handle the weight. And I saw that each
page is dedicated to each Royalty, from Kings and Queens, to Princes and
Princesses, since the 18th century.
“To
be included in this book is a great honor. Yet some people would dare to throw
it away,” she looked away for a second.
I
flipped through the last pages, and there I saw a page dedicated to the Queen,
and the Crown Prince. It seemed to have stopped there.
“It’s
not yet updated,” she answered the question in my head, “When Prince James
marry, then he will be added to the archives.”
I
didn’t understand why she was sharing this, but I replied anyway, somehow
hoping it would console the Queen. “I’m sure he’ll make such a great King.”
She
sighed, took the book from my hand and returned it to its place. “I wonder if he
will be a fine one even.”
There
was silence, and the question of what the Queen meant when she said I am here
to stay still bugs my mind.
“I
want your help, dear Candice,” her tone changed, “I want you to help the
Prince.”
“Prince
James?” I asked, hopeful the Queen won’t notice the raise in my voice.
She
walked back at me, held both my shoulders, and spoke, “The Prince is misguided.
He claims to marry a girl just for the sake of love. If I don’t agree, then I
will lose him forever. Love isn’t just the only factor to consider, both in and
out of the Palace. And I know you know that, my dear. You are wise. Your Father
speaks the great of you.”
What?
I
didn’t know what to respond. The Queen had that expectation of me, I didn’t
even know until today. But the question is: where is this all leading? Why is
she telling me this?
“I
want you to show the Prince just that. I want you to open his eyes.” She walked
past me, and from her back I heard her continue, “And when you succeed, I will
reward you and your Father the honor you deserve.”
She
turned around, facing me. “I will reward you the crown.”
No comments:
Post a Comment