Chapter 4
“I know you.”
POV: Candice Regerett
I
spent the entire time, either reading a book from the Royal Library, or going
halfway insane when I look back at the conversation I had with the Queen. I
grew up with my Father always in control. When he speaks, I must listen. When
he listens, I must not only speak, but speak wisely. When he walks, I walk
behind him. When he stops, I stop after him. When he asks, I must answer. When
he orders, I must oblige.
That
has been mandatory for me to survive as a Regerett. And perhaps it was the same
mechanism I am rolling out today.
***
It
wasn’t long before I was called to prepare for dinner. I was brought to a room
back at Lautsen Assembly, where guests are provided a place to stay.
The
room was of course, bigger than mine back at my Father’s estate. It has a
living space big enough to be treated as another room. Then it opens to another
room where the actual bedroom lies. The room was brightly lit, and the
wallpapers added to that. There’s a balcony from the living space and I’m happy
to admit that such petty thing made me relaxed. The bathroom is connected to a
walk-in closet full of shoes and beautiful gowns. And in fact, I am wearing one
of those dresses right now - black V-neck, knee length, satin dress that
symbolizes mourning.
At
a vanity of the bedroom, the three servants from before were fixing my hair,
braiding it to perfection. And I look at myself from the mirror, admiring the
reflection of somebody I don’t know.
I
caught eyes with the tallest girl from before, at that she looked away.
“What
is your name?” I asked.
“Savannah,
my Lady,” the tallest girl replied, “And this is Alicia,” she pointed to her
right, to the girl youngest I assume. “I greet you my Lady,” said Alicia, and
then she introduced the third servant, “This is my sister, Alice.”
Alice
took a bow, and said, “Happy to serve you, my Lady.”
***
I
made my way to the Royal Dining Hall at Thorssen Assembly with a pounding
heart. I am about to have dinner with the
Royal Family.
I
reached the end of the hallway, when Jackson approached me, “Good evening, my
Lady.”
I
returned the greeting, and then he announced me. “Lady Regerett has arrived!”
When
I came to view, I saw how grandeur the Royal Dining Hall was. The ceiling was
high, with four chandeliers lighting the room. From the top, I made my way down
the stairs and saw the view of the window just across the actual rectangular
dining table. I can see the Thorssen Garden that holds the fountain and the
swimming pool within reach from where we all stood.
The
Queen sat at the head of the table, the Prince Consort on her right, and the
Crown Princess taking the place of the late Crown Prince on the Queen’s left.
Beside her is Prince Adam. And across Adam sat Prince James, and beside him is
a girl I assumed to be his fiancé.
Everyone
stood up when I reached the table, besides Prince James who looked frozen
staring down on his empty plate.
“Please,
Candice. Make yourself comfortable,” the Queen reached for a hug, and by that
the Prince Consort nodded. The Crown Princess hugged me next, and Adam patted
the chair beside him, “Sit beside me Candy.”
I
smiled upon hearing Prince Adam call me Candy, which I always do each time. He
had been calling me Candy since the beginning, saying that he adores Candy as
must as he adores me.
I
sat on the chair Prince Adam has offered me.
“Well,
since everyone is here, let us enjoy the night!” The Queen sounded cheerful,
“By the way, Candice,” she pointed to the girl seated Prince James, “This is
Olivia.”
“My
fiancé,” Prince James added.
“Not
yet,” the Queen returned.
I
glanced at Olivia, who flashed me a smile. She looked really pale. When I
glanced next to her, I caught Prince James staring at me, with wide eyes. It
was as if he was saying I know you.
“You seem to have this
habit of watching me.”
POV: Candice Regerett
I
couldn’t sleep, that’s obvious enough. After dinner, I hurried back to my room
on the west side of Lautsen Assembly, hopeful to call it day. And after my
three servants, whom I learned before were named Savannah, and siblings Alice
and Alicia, had helped me with my bath, I found myself shifting positions in
bed, wide awake after hours of unfortunate attempts. I was leaning on my right,
and I saw in between curtain sheets, the lights of the grounds from the
outside. It was as if they were calling me to keep them company. I closed my
eyes briefly, brushing the thought.
Like
a whisper, I began hearing the hum of the old lady back at my Father’s estate.
Somehow, I grew up with it, the tune, letting it overcome the night as a
lullaby to my ears. But when I opened my eyes, I realized I was only imagining
it. And that’s when I’ve decided.
I
made my way out of Lautsen towards Lorentzen, hoping that perhaps a book would
do me good for the night. The night breeze was cool as I cross the bridge that
connects the two Assemblies. The path was open on both sides, so it was easy to
admire the Thorssen Garden from my point, with the sound of water rushing out
from the top of the fountain, like waves of the ocean splashing towards the
rocks on the shore. I glanced at Kofoed Assembly, whose front doors were open
wide, welcoming the breeze from the Garden.
I
reached Lorentzen, and by the time I was about to turn the knob of the Royal
Library, I heard a very distant sound. At first I thought it was the same tune
from the old lady from my Father’s estate. I thought maybe I was going
delusional. I shook it off, but it seems to go on. It seems real. And it
sounded like piano.
I
leaned out from the corridors, and listened intently to where the tune was
coming from.
And
I ran. I exited the doors of Lorentzen, and looked around. Few men in suits
were roaming around, giving me small bows as I journey to reveal the source of
the piano. With the sound of the splashing water from the fountain, it’s hard
to distinguish. So I circled around.
I
realized then that it was coming from Kofoed Assembly, opposite Lorentzen.
I
stepped in, not knowing what I will find. Kofoed Assembly is where the Royalty
would welcome international guests. Maybe,
I thought, someone from Germany or
Switzerland has landed in Wolland. And maybe I just didn’t know about it.
Perhaps I’ll find a musician inside after all.
But
before I was able to entirely bring myself in, I found myself surprised to see
Prince James playing the grand piano of the Assembly’s lobby. The lobby was huge, bigger than the
one at Thorssen. Chandeliers light the room, and a grand piano stands in the
farthest corner on the left. Prince James seemed too converged to notice me
stumble at the door step. I hid myself quickly, hoping he wouldn’t see me from
the side of the wall. I was about to retreat when I realized I was too
captivated by the music. I couldn’t move my feet.
Instead,
I stayed, listening to the music that is both so sad and beautiful at the same
time. Somehow it reminded me of the tune back at my Father’s estate, which held
the same mixed emotions to me. Every note was like a swing of the knife on my
skin. And I feel the pain hidden in every pause. But all at once, that same
tragedy is what makes it beautiful. It was the melody itself being able to give
itself an interpretation that I find very beautiful.
I
glanced at Prince James, his body dancing swiftly at every touch of his finger.
He had his eyes closed, and from afar I saw his vulnerability, synchronized in
the music he produces.
My
first impression of Prince James was brave, but that was before I actually met
him in person. He was brave because he had the courage to leave the Palace. He
had the guts to do things I never would have done. And I admired him for that.
And
then I met him personally for the first time, at the Royal Library. And I
realized he wasn’t only brave, but in control. He knew where he stands. He knew
he is the Prince. He had the jurisdiction over his life. And I admired him even
more.
But
when the Queen speaks of him being blind and misguided, I saw the exact
opposite of my assumptions. Yet the Queen has told me of my Father speaking
highly of me, and I didn’t want to disappoint him, so perhaps not disappointing
him means not disappointing the Queen either.
“You
seem to have this habit of watching me,” he spoke loudly. His playing stopped,
but he didn’t stand up. He remained seated, his eyes on his fingers, gliding on
the keys.
I
jumped.
“Show
yourself,” he paused, “Candy, is it?”
Candy?
When Prince Adam would say it, it sounded cute. But when Prince James said it,
it sounded like mockery from his mouth.
He
knew it. He knew it was me, so there’s obviously no point in hiding anymore.
Besides, I thought if I should help the Prince, I must be friends with him
first. I only got one problem, how does one gain a friend?
I
stepped out of my comfort zone, and bowed on his presence.
Finally,
he stood up, leaning on the grand piano, watching me.
So he claims that I have
been watching him? But now he is watching me. Ironic.
“You’re
the girl from the Royal Library, are you not?”
I
nodded hesitantly.
“Funny,
sweet thing,” he said, still watching me, “I had this feeling then that there
was something special about you. Though I pictured you higher than a Queen’s
puppet.”
His
voice was bold. And I feel like it was the perfect time to run, hide, and weep.
“I
wasn’t watching you, Prince,” I tried approaching him. By then he stood
straight. “The circumstance at the library was a mere coincidence, and tonight
was one as well.”
I
reached for him. And for a split second, it felt like forever in slow motion. I
was staring directly at his eyes.
“If
I might argue, Prince, that it was your fate that seems to have this habit of
interjecting mine," I added.
He
was expressionless, as all the Royalties seem to pretend to be. He still wore
day clothes - polo shirt tucked underneath his pants.
“So,”
he replied, “You coming all the way here at Kofoed was a coincidence? Tell me,
did the Queen grant you permission to walk these halls as well? Then you must
indeed be higher than a Queen’s puppet, but a pawn.”
He
laughed.
“I
wouldn’t say a puppet, Prince, especially not a pawn. I guess you can call me
the Queen’s confidant. That’s all.”
I
sounded confident, but all my insides were shaking. I couldn’t help it. He
called me a puppet! And worse, a pawn!
“Besides,
I only came through your music. If you don’t expect people to show up, I’d
rather you not play anything at all. It was too beautiful to miss, so I came.
It was painful, but beautiful. I would have heard it from anyone who plays it,
even for everyday for the rest of my life.”
I
waited for him to make another remark, but he was silent. He was just looking
at me, but it was impossible to read his face. Instead, I made another bow, and
went straight back to my room. This time I didn’t care if I was restless, for I
am not leaving my room for the second time.
“Today is the day, my
Love.”
POV: James Bret Nikolai
Ravn Østergaard
I
made my way swiftly to Lautsen, the guest quarters. I try to recall Candice.
She was wearing her night gown, wandering around the Palace at such late hour.
I always have this keen sense of people. I know when someone is watching. And
she had been hiding herself at the side of the wall of the lobby in Kofoed for
a long time. At first, I thought I could just pretend she wasn’t there. But
minutes went by and she wasn’t leaving.
When
I finally revealed her, I expected her shivering. But she maintained her poise.
Instead there was something mystifying in her eyes. If ever I frightened her,
or intimated her, she’s been taught how to hide it well. It reminded me of the
same when I caught her at the Royal Library with a book in hand. She was
confident, like a while ago. Even though I called her a puppet and a pawn, she
maintained her composure.
And
she called the tune beautiful, something I’ve never heard anyone call it. I saw
the spark in her eyes when she walked out from her hiding place, without tears.
I can’t help but compare that same look to Olivia’s when she heard the same
tune for the first time. It was different. Olivia had tears in her eyes, but
Candice held admiration.
I
knew from the library incident that she wasn’t just ordinary. Why else would
she be allowed in the Royal Library? I thought perhaps the Queen just favors
her, a guest from a neighboring country, but then I found her to be the Prime
Minister’s daughter. I have seen Carsten Regerett before. He was a part of the
Parliament, Minister of whatever office, so was his Father before him. But he
must have been promoted, and the Queen must really trust him, for she’s the
only one with the power to appoint the Prime Minister.
But
then again, her Father is the Prime Minister, close to the Queen. I should have
known what the Queen meant by appointing herself a contender. I wouldn’t have
been surprised then when she showed up at the Royal Dining Hall, with an
embrace from the Queen and the Crown Princess, a nod from the Prince Consort,
and a joke from Prince Adam. She is indeed special, or trying too hard to be.
I
reached the doors of one of the guest rooms in Lautsen and found Olivia deep
asleep in the bed the Queen has provided for her.
Ever
since she saw me break down when I lost my Father, I couldn’t help but feel
ashamed of myself. How could I ever let her see me that way? She fell in love
with a cool and well composed man, not someone who shed tears like a child. For
the times we're together, she had seen me as her backbone, someone to depend
on. If that’s why she fell in love, I couldn’t stop being that person. I looked
back at her words with humiliation, “I always admired you for that sense of obligation, and
responsibility, how protective you are. It is in your blood, James, to lead.
And if you are going to escape responsibility once more, I wonder why I fell
for you in the first place.”
So,
she must have seen me a coward for running away. And I must remain to redeem
myself.
I
laid beside her, careful not to make any noise. I pulled the sheets closer to
our chests, and shared cold feet. She was breathing calmly, as she always does
whenever she sleeps. I brushed away the hair blocking her face, and stared at
her in admiration as sleep starts to knock in.
The
next thing I knew, I woke up with Olivia, watching me.
I
glanced at the slit between the massive draperies and saw the new day ahead,
sunlight making its way through.
When
I looked back at Olivia next to me, I saw the pain in her eyes, desperate to
hide it.
She
forced a smile.
“Hey,”
I hushed, cupping her face, “Today is the day, my Love.”
She
nodded, pulling away from me.
“Sit right next to James.”
POV: Candice Regerett
“Your
hair looks amazing today, my Lady,” Alicia remarked as she adds hair spray to
keep it steady for the day, “Not to mention your dark almond eyes that seems to
be sparkling this morning.”
I
smiled, as I did from time to time for the past hour or so, patiently waiting
to get it over with.
The
moment Alicia put the brush down, I can’t help but admire the girl who seem to
be wearing the same black dress at the mirror of my porcelain vanity. Still
looking at the mirror, my sight shifted to Alice in the corner, Alicia’s
sister, with Savannah, making the bed.
It’s
customary that when a member of the Royal Family passes away, the living will
have to wear black for the next forty days, until the actual burial at
Thelordain Cathedral, where the Royal remains are kept. Today is the third
Saturday of the month of July, so I was told of our agenda for this morning. We
are going to attend mass as Christians at St. Agatha’s Church, luckily inside
the Palace Grounds, where Royalties also host private wakes, and in this case,
for the late Crown Prince.
St.
Agatha’s Church is located far back Lautsen Assembly. On the path includes the
Lautsen Garden, the late Queen Analissa’s favorite Garden, where blooms
different flowers of different colors, and a pond sits in the middle of it all.
A tennis court is also found in this part of the Palace Grounds.
Ever
since Father was appointed Prime Minister, I’ve had opportunities to visit the
Palace. But I have never once stepped in inside St. Agatha’s Church that is so
huge it has become the trademark of the Palace, which can be viewed even from
afar.
After
having breakfast delivered to my room, I made my way to St. Agatha’s Church
escorted by a Royal guard. Ahead of me, I saw Prince James walking by himself,
his blonde wavy hair dancing in the wind, as he reached the steps of the
Church. I wonder where Olivia is, and why she wasn’t with him. There are men
stationed outside, and they all took a synchronized bow as Prince James came
into view.
I
was almost at the step of the Church when I saw a familiar shadow at the corner
of my eye. It was Henri. I assumed my Father is nearby.
“Miss,”
he took a bow.
“Henri!”
I exclaimed, my tone slightly excited, “Father?”
“He
is inside, waiting just for you. How was the night, Miss?” He asked, walking
alongside me.
“Quite
disturbing actually,” I grinned.
“Candy!”
Someone called from afar, and I knew exactly who it was.
“Prince
Adam!” I looked back and knelt. He approached me with a tight hug.
Following
him was the Crown Princess, smiling before us. I stood up quickly, and bowed.
“Good
Morning, Your Highness!” Henri and I greeted in chorus.
“Why
have a good one yourselves…” She took Adam’s hand, “Come Adam…” And together,
they walked in.
“You
go on ahead, Miss,” Henri gestured to the main door of the Church, as I turned
back to him.
The
moment I stepped in, I was greeted by enormous light from left to right, and
paintings of angels scattered the interior, and statues of Jesus and various
Saints on each corner filled the room. There are a few benches properly aligned
just in front of the Altar. And from their backs, I saw on the front seat is
the Prince Consort seated right next to the Queen who was whispering something
to a woman in black right next to her. The woman was holding the Queen’s hand,
like she was comforting the Queen. When I took a few steps closer, I saw her
face. And I realized it was Princess Danielle, wife of Prince Hendrick, younger
brother of the late Crown Prince. And from the side of the Church, on the west
wing, I saw the spotlight directed to a golden coffin, which I assume keeps the
body of the late Crown Prince. Standing right next to it, is Prince Hendrick,
looking like an exact replica of his brother, surprisingly with my Father right
next to him. They seemed engaged in a conversation. A young boy was standing
just behind Prince Hendrick. It must be Prince Luke, his son, about the same
age as Prince Adam. When Prince Luke saw Prince Adam come in, he rushed towards
his cousin and they went to sit at one of the benches. I glanced around looking
for a trace of Prince James. I was pretty sure I just saw him come in.
And
then finally he came out from nowhere, approaching his Mother, the Crown
Princess.
I
didn’t know where to go, for everyone seemed to have found a partner for them.
So I decided to hit the easy target, the kids. I walked up to them seated at
one of the benches.
“Hello
Prince Adam!” Prince Adam’s eyes widened, and he jumped out of his seat.
“Candy!”
He grabbed my hand, “This is Luke, my cousin…”
Luke
stood up as well, and smirked at me. “Are you a Princess?” he asked.
Someone
answered for me, “Not yet, Prince Luke.” It was my Father. I recognized his
voice. He was standing with Prince Hendrick. Prince Luke ran to his Father and
clung to his leg.
“Prince
Hendrick, this is my daughter, Candice Regerett.”
I
bowed, “Your Highness, it is such great honor of mine to be in your presence.”
“Same
as I,” he replied, nodding at my Father.
“Candice,
my dear!” It was the Queen, leaning back for a wave.
I
looked at my Father who had his usual glare, and I excused myself from the
Prince.
I
walked towards the Queen as she introduces me next to the Princess.
“Daniella,
this is the special girl I was telling you about, Candice.” I took another bow,
repeating the same words as before, “Your Highness, it is such great honor of
mine to be in your presence.”
She
smiled and nodded.
“Take
a seat now, Candice. The mass is about to start,” the Queen instructed.
I
glanced at my Father, but he wasn’t returning my desperate expression.
Where am I supposed to sit?
The
Queen and the Prince Consort was seated in the front row, and everyone else
settled just behind them.
Except
for Prince James, for he seems to be on his way beside the Prince Consort.
Thank
God, the Queen has called my attention.
“Come
along, Candice. Sit right next to James.”
Prince
James gave me a stern look, but he didn’t say anything.
I
sat beside the Prince, and for the next hour I wonder if Olivia is ever going
to show up. She didn’t.
“Remember, the Queen is on
our side.”
POV: Candice Regerett
“What
do you mean by not yet a Princess, Father?”
I asked, while following his steps to the Summoning Room he requested from the
Queen right after the mass. Of course he didn’t reply. I glanced back at Henri,
who was ignoring my stare.
When
we reached the Summoning Room, tea is already prepared. I sat down across him,
trying to catch his eye.
I
looked around and didn’t see Henri. He must have stayed outside.
“Did
the Queen talk to you, dear darling?” he asked, shaking his teacup playfully.
“Yes.
She said she needed my help.”
I
thought of touching my tea, but it won’t help now. Whatever my Father will say
will be very important not to miss.
“What
kind of help would that be?”
I
mumbled, and I saw his green eyes contract.
“He
said he needed me to show the Prince that love doesn’t matter. In exchange, I
couldn’t really understand what she meant when she said she’s giving me the
crown.”
There
was silence.
“And
how do you plan to proceed?” He asked me, sounding serious.
I
didn’t answer. Not just because I can’t, but I couldn’t. I never really thought
about it. Everything happened so quickly I didn’t have time to actually
strategize. Besides, nothing was clear to me since yesterday. I guess I
expected this talk from my Father.
“Do
you want my help?” My Father asked me. I can say I’m quite surprised he made
such an offer.
I
nodded, “Of course, Father. The Queen says she will reward us both.”
“Then
do as I say!” He commanded, “Make the Prince fall in love with you, and you
will be a Princess!”
I
staggered back, half-surprised to hear it from him directly, and half-not.
“But,”
I reasoned out, “He’s in love with someone else.”
“And
you say love doesn’t matter. To prove it to the Queen, you have to prove it to
him. But first before all, you must prove it to yourself.”
And
I wonder if I should do it, if ever I could. It seemed so wrong, to break two
hearts apart. To come in between them, I am sure the Prince will never forgive
me. But the Queen trusted me, and my Father spoke highly of me. Will I take all
of that only to please Prince James, who never once treated me accordingly? And
how will I, my mere self, be able to make him fall for me? It seems impossible.
But
as much as I wanted to say no, all I did was nod, like I always do in front of
my Father. He always brings out my weaknesses. Whenever I’m in his presence, I
lose all my courage. I feel vulnerable, and broken.
I grew up with my Father
always in control. When he speaks, I must listen. When he listens, I must not
only speak, but speak wisely. When he walks, I walk behind him. When he stops,
I stop after him. When he asks, I must answer. When he orders, I must oblige.
“Don’t
worry if you fear that the Prince will never notice you. Remember, the Queen is
on our side.” He stood up, brushed his suit and motioned for the door, but
stopped.
“Oh
and remember, if you are able to accomplish this, it will make me very proud,”
he says, his voice dropping, “But if the otherwise, then you’d be too much
shame for me to live with, I’d rather not see you, forever.”
And
it didn’t end there, before he actually left the room, he added, “You have
three months.”
I
never wanted to be the Princess, nor do I want to live in the Palace. I don’t
want Prince James, nor do I intend to hurt anybody. But what gave me the guts
to leave the Summoning Room with hope, was the chance to make my Father proud,
in however I think is possible.
“You’re welcome, Olivia.”
POV: Olivia Reynolds
I
wasn’t anything religious. So it’s fairly inappropriate for me to force myself
down St. Agatha’s Church for the morning. Instead, I spent the next hour at the
Grand Library, where I was lectured on Wolland History. I wasn’t anything near
good at school, and was only lucky to have been qualified to graduate. My
grades are average for the most part, and I didn’t think it mattered since I
never thought I’d be doing this all over again. When I was young, I wanted to
be a broadcast journalist. But unfortunately, I have two younger siblings my
parents needed to prioritize. I stopped midway College and found a job here and
there. For the past six years, I’ve helped them financially, until I met James,
who has supported our youngest until he graduated two years ago. And now I’m
free from any kind of obligation whatsoever from my family. James has asked me
just on the start of this year if I wanted to pursue mine, but that was before
his Aunt, Princess Veronika, has received a call from the Palace asking James
to tend to his Father.
Before
noon, I was dismissed to do my own homework on post World War II. And my tutor,
an old man who never once smiled, told me to visit the Royal Library for easy
reference, since all the worthwhile books are kept there. And since the Queen
has allowed me to stay, he thought I was allowed to use the library as well.
I
asked one of the servants where exactly to find the library, and brought myself
there.
“Hello?”
I asked, checking to see if anyone else was inside. Nobody answered, so I
walked in.
I
had to admire the interior of the Royal Library. Unlike the Grand Library at
Thorssen Assembly, this one is slightly smaller, making it seems friendlier.
I
went to check every bookshelf, hopeful to find anything that could help me
impress the old man. He looked furious when he asked me of what I know about
World War II, and I couldn’t give him a concrete answer.
Just
so I thought no body was inside, I felt a presence from behind me. And when I
turned around, I saw Candice, the girl James has told me about. She was the
girl the Queen brought in to break us apart. I eyed her carefully, but she had
calmness in her. Her hair was slightly tangled, and her eyes were a little
swollen. She must have sleeping here before I came.
“Hello,”
she spoke.
I
didn’t know if that was meant to be sarcastic or sincere. I intentionally
resorted to playing with my engagement ring. I meant it to be a slap in her
face, but she didn’t seem to care anyway.
She
continued, “Do you need help looking for something?”
I
shook my head, “No, I can very well handle myself.” No matter what she has
planned to ruin us, James and I are unbreakable.
I
expected her to raise an argument, but she didn’t. From my back, I felt her
walk away. And somehow I felt guilty. What if all she was doing was help?
Besides, I don’t see the trouble of helping me for a book.
“Wait!”
She looked back as I called. “Actually, I wanted something that I can read,
about World War II.”
She
smiled, and I saw her sincerity. What is
she doing? Isn’t she supposed to be my enemy? That’s how James had described
her anyway, vicious and unworthy.
She
walked towards the last bookshelf, and handed me an old book. It looked like a
hundred years old. She blew off the dust, and spoke, “There are thousands of
World War books in this library, but this one is mostly summarized.”
I
took it, and I can’t help but thank her for saving me from hours of browsing.
“Thank you,” I said.
And
then she replied, “You’re welcome, Olivia.”
***
“Hey,”
a familiar voice surprised me. It was James. I’ve spent the whole afternoon
reading about the World War. And Candice was right, this book was greatly
summarized. Most of the information were bulleted, so it was easier to
remember. “I didn’t know war is your specialty.”
I
didn’t bother standing up from where I was seated, for he leaned over for a
kiss at my forehead, and pulled a chair beside me.
He
was staring at the book on my hand.
“So
you came to the Royal Library then?”
Of
course, he must have known the book, and most probably had read it a couple
times himself.
“Nice
choice of material, Livy!” He laughed and playfully pushed my elbow with his,
“That’s the best book you can find on the topic of war indeed.”
He
seemed proud, but I couldn’t take the credit just like that.
“Actually,”
I started, “Candice recommended it.”
His
blue eyes widened. “Candice?”
I
nodded.
“Of
course,” his voice was calm, “So she’s at library, again…”
I
was about to ask what he meant with again
but one of the Royal guards escorted him out for whatever purpose. He must be
needed somewhere, again.
“Allow me to help you help
the Prince.”
POV: Margarett Katherine
Ravn-Østergaard
“Take
a seat, my dear.”
Candice
looked curious, but kept her poise on the line, as she obliged. Her Father has
indeed raised her well. I have always admired Candice, of her heritage and
natural brightness. Ever since I met her, I knew her to be of greatness, and I
always wanted to help her. With James challenging me, I saw the best
opportunity for both. To have James take the title that is rightfully his, and
to develop Candice’s full potential.
I
knew she had a talk with her Father this morning, therefore, I must know the
progress if she’s made any.
I
motioned for everyone to leave us by ourselves, and quickly just like that,
everyone disappeared, except of course to the Prince Consort who resides in his
own desk across mine at Agerskov Office, indulged in his own business. Jackson
was the last to leave.
“I
assume your Father has already talked to you regarding your role in the Palace,
my dear Candice?”
She
nodded.
“Are
you certain to succeed?”
She
looked away for a brief second, glancing at my husband’s direction.
“I
am certain to try my best, Your Majesty…” She finally responded. “Though I
haven’t entirely weighed my Father’s stand, I will do my best not to fail your
original request.”
Original request?
I
arched my brows in confusion as I repeated loudly, “And may you repeat the
terms of my original request, my dear?”
“To
help the Prince. And by your word, I shall.” She held a straight face.
“And
how are you to help James?”
She
was silent, and I saw in her eyes that she was thinking of something. Perhaps
she had already answered my question, only she refuses to say it loudly.
“Let
me help you then, Candice. Allow me to help you help the Prince. All you needed
to do, is be your already self.”
“My
Queen?”
I
have to laugh at her naivety, sometimes showing at the cracks of her
personality.
“Just
be ready for this week, for you might be going somewhere with the Prince.”
***
As
soon as she left, Nikolai spoke.
“I
don’t understand what you need her for, my Queen,” he said, putting away the
papers in his desk.
“Of
course you don’t, Nikolai,” I glanced at the door of Agerskov Office, where not
too long ago, Candice walked out of, “You don’t know her like I do. She will
make me proud, as she was raised to do so.”
No comments:
Post a Comment