Chapter 19
“I know. I heard. I saw.”
POV: Henri Keller
For
years I have stayed behind and watched, only because I trusted Carsten Regerett.
I have stayed behind him, as I watch him ridicule Candice. He said it is for
her. He said it is to protect her.
From what?
Everything
seemed clear that the only protection she needed from is her Father.
Every
time he would lecture Candice for the smallest things, I am tempted to confess
the truth. But I knew to control myself. And all these years I let myself
believe that Carsten was only doing it for Candice’s sake. He’s hurting her so
that when others do, it won’t hurt as bad.
Everything
I did was for Candice, and always had been. And I know for a fact Candice won’t
know about it, unless I tell her myself. I have been waiting for a long time,
to the day when I can finally spill everything. It will be the day when she can
hold power on her own, as Carsten is helping achieve right now. But waiting is
so much agony. I can no longer bear it, especially when Carsten hit Candice the
other day. This time, it wasn’t in his office, but here in the Palace. It felt
so much worse. It’s when I realized, Carsten isn’t really helping Candice
achieve power, but strengthen his own. And as long as Candice is within
Carsten’s grasp, I can never tell her the truth. This is the last straw. I
can't trust Carsten anymore, not when my sister is going to suffer along the
way.
I’ve
thought hard on how to defeat Carsten, and I realized I have been watching his
back for the longest time, I hold his dirtiest secrets. I know what he did. And
to save Candice, I must destroy Carsten. So last night, I have finally decided.
I will tell the Queen. I will tell her everything.
“She’s
waiting. You got ten minutes,” Jackson revealed himself from the doors of the
Royal Quarters.
“She
will request for more, you’ll see,” I eyed Jackson before I entered in.
I
entered the Royal Quarters, with the Queen seated in one of the cushions.
I
greeted, “Forgive me for asking to meet you today, Your Majesty. But the
information I hold requires your attention, right away.”
“You
could have passed the message through Carsten. Don’t you work for him? Aren’t
you his assistant?” she asked, with her voice cold.
I
was silent, awkwardly standing by the door of the Royal Quarters. This
conversation will be a long one, more than ten minutes, and I can’t proceed
just standing.
But
she didn’t invite me to sit, so I couldn’t.
“I
believe I cannot concern His Excellency over this…” I paused, “For this concerns him.”
I
eyed Her Majesty, who had her blue eyes wide, “Very well, take your seat, and
make it short.”
When
I sat down, I waited for a couple more seconds before I faced her. She was
smirking.
“I
know no other way to shorten this, Your Majesty, but…” I struggled to bring out
the words, “The man I work for, Carsten Regerett, I believe, is to blame for
His Highness, the late Crown Prince’s, sudden death.”
She
laughed at that instant.
“Do
you wish to be punished? False accusation is a grave sin, especially for an
appointed Prime Minister.” Her look was petrifying.
I
can’t give up now.
“Like
you have said, I have been working for the Prime Minister for the longest time,
Your Majesty. I know. I heard. I saw.”
My
tone was serious, as she had probably already observed. She was silent, just
merely looking at me in confusion.
I
can’t blame her. She trusted Carsten Regerett. That’s why she appointed him
anyway. But there’s more to the story than there is.
“Everyone
had foreseen the late Prince’s death. He was deadly ill,” she said, still
defending the Prime Minister.
Perhaps
she was still in denial. My mere words cannot be the proof she needed.
“Yes,
but not so soon, Your Majesty. Don’t you agree? He was sick, but he died just
as quickly. The Prime Minister has had me instruct one of the Royal Doctors to
hasten the late Crown Prince’s death, so he can have the innocent Candice where
she is now. He had planned it, Your Majesty. It was the perfect cover-up, since
everyone saw it coming,” I said.
I
knew for a fact that confessing this will bury me as well, but I don’t care
anymore. I’m doing this for Candice, if it’s the last thing I do.
I
glanced at the Queen, who looked horrified. Such expression is seen rarely from
around the Palace. But I expected it.
This is about her son,
Queen or not.
Her
hand was trembling, so as her voice when she spoke. Her gaze was on the ground,
“Call Jackson this instant! Call him! Call him!” she exclaimed.
“Love isn’t selfish, but
only brave.”
POV: Candice Regerett
“My
Lady?” Savannah called from outside my room.
I
turned around from the balcony in my room, where I had been enjoying the view
from Hesselborg Grounds, to find her peeking in from my door.
“There
had been a note sent to you, my Lady,” she says, as she steps in.
A note? From whom?
She
arrives before me and hands me a piece of paper folded in a square. She took a
bow before exiting.
I
carefully unfolded the note. It was from Henri. I recognized his handwriting
instantly, in every birthday card he would send me over the years.
Meet me at the Royal
Quarters as soon as you receive this, and take the Prince with you. You must
hear the truth.
HK
***
It
was easy to look for Prince James. I know I saw him passing by at Hesselborg
Grounds to the Gazebo moments ago. I’ve watched him from my balcony as he
reflected by himself. I’ve argued about meeting him there, but I thought he
needed the time by himself.
I
wonder what Henri meant by the truth. And
why does he insist to meet at the Royal Quarters? Why do I have to take Prince
James with me? But I figured the only way to answer these questions is to
actually arrive.
I
made my way to the Gazebo hurriedly, but Prince James was too occupied by his
thoughts, he didn’t feel my presence as I stood behind him. He had his arms at
his back, and his posture looked weary.
“Prince?”
I called.
He
didn’t turn around, so I took another step forward. This time, I’m standing
just beside him. I called him once more at the same time he notices me.
His
expression was blank blank, but I’ve
been exposed to these expressions of his I knew the difference between a blank
expression and a blank blank
expression. This expression speaks emptiness, not concealment.
“Candice…”
he managed to utter, though weak. His eyes were unsettling upon mine. “Olivia
left. She… actually left.”
He
hugged me abruptly, his arms taking each space between us, and proclaiming it his. “I’m so sorry…” he whispered, “I’m
sorry because… I… miss her.”
He
started sobbing, his grip on my back loosening.
“Hey,”
I lightly broke the embrace, “Look at me.”
I
tilted his chin, for his gaze was low. When his eyes reached my face, I saw his
expression break down. I saw at that instant the pain he’s withholding. I saw
the guilt he’s obscuring. I saw the emptiness he’s feeling.
My
hand brushed his shoulder as I search for words to say, but nothing came out.
What am I supposed to say
at times like this?
How do I comfort him while
I comfort myself?
And more importantly, am I
deserving to comfort him when all of this began because of me?
My
expression must have shared his despair.
“Say
something, Candice,” he said.
I
am supposed to say something. I do
have something in mind, which I wish to express. But I’m holding back.
“I,”
I stuttered, “I don’t… don’t know what to say…” I kept my gaze low for a while
before returning to his face, “How do I say you shouldn’t miss her? She’s been
a part of you for years, James. It would be unfair for me to forbid your
feelings for her, as much as I want to. How do I become selfless, when all I’m
doing is love you? Love seems to be selfish, for I had become just that.”
He
sighed. “Well,” he said, “You did say that.”
I did. I
turned away, embarrassed for expressing myself like that. Love is selfish. Will he hate me now? Will he run after Olivia and ask
her to come back?
“I
want you not to miss her, James, but I’m not in the position to demand that
from you. I understand how you feel. I couldn’t ask you to let go… because you
really shouldn’t,” I said.
He
grabbed my arm and pulled me closer to him, so we’re once again inches apart.
“So instead you’re asking me to hold tight? Are you going to push me away?
Because I don’t want you to, just because I miss her. If love is selfish, then
be one. Because I want to give you all of me, what you deserve.”
“No,”
I shook my head, and he released my arm, “I’m not going to push you away,
Prince. I am asking you to move on, yes. But let go, do not. Move on but don’t
let go. And moving on comes with time. I will wait, Prince. That’s how I can
love you, by being selfish, but selfless at the same time.”
Love isn’t selfish, but
only brave. Love drives a person to his limits, but love doesn’t limit a
person. In the end, one is brave to choose what he desires.
He
pulled me in his arms, once again, whispering to my ear, “Move on but don’t go.
I can do that,” he reassures himself, “I love you, Candice.”
“I
love you too, James,” I replied.
Oh right, the note.
“And
Henri sent me this note, by the way. He asks for our presence. I don’t really
understand what he meant by the truth,” I unfolded the paper myself before
handing it to Prince James.
He
studied it for a while, and looked at me with bewilderment. “Candice…” he
whispered, “I need to tell you something, about Henri.”
No comments:
Post a Comment