Chapter 17
“Just call my Father. Call
the Prime Minister!”
POV: Candice Regerett
It’s
Saturday, and today Prince James and I went to Holbæk Palace to attend the
Debate Meeting with the Parliament. The Queen has allowed me to come along,
ever since the Prince's unfortunate experience inside the Debate Chamber. He
was right though, seated in front of 179 members felt like they’re going to
attack us soon. It felt like facing 179 of my Father. But there’s a reason why
Prince James wanted me to come. He wanted my strength, and that I shall give
him. I can’t fail him now.
Anyway,
I promised to help him, regardless of the blur going on between us.
Today
they talked about feminism, and open borders in Verseed.
But
the most controversial was the issue with surrogacy. The Conservative Party, as
expected, opposes this, pointing that if same sex marriage is immoral, so is
surrogacy. Anything against nature, they say, is immoral.
I
wanted to speak, but I know I have no right, if not asked. I looked at the
Prince, who sat above the platform, but he looked very serious. He was
thinking.
Finally,
he spoke, and everyone listened. Listening to his side and listening to the
other Parties oppose it, but the Prince countering it, I was really amused. My
head went back and forth to the Parliament, to the Prince, taking in the
points.
I
didn’t know why he took me with him, when all along he seemed confident enough.
“That
was cool,” I said, seated beside him at the back seat of the Royal car, “What
you said back there.”
“Glad
you thought so. I did my research,” he said back.
“Remind
me again, why you needed me back there?” I asked.
He
smiled, both his hands on his knees, “Just for luck. I feel confident when
you’re around. And besides, I wanted to make you proud.”
He wanted to make me
proud.
***
Sunday,
and I was hopeful to catch Prince James walking along the hallway of Thorssen.
I didn’t, though I cannot deny the joy it would give me if I can spend my free
time with him.
I
was crossing the bridge to Lorentzen when I saw him, Prince James, at the
corner of the Assembly, with Olivia. Of course, if Sunday is my free day, so is
Olivia’s.
The
bridge was curved so I was hidden enough to eavesdrop.
Now why do I find myself
in situations like that all the time?
“Come
on, James!” Olivia pulled the Prince’s arm, “Let’s go out! It’s our
anniversary!”
I
gasped.
This
is wrong. I shouldn’t be meddling, but I cannot help myself. I felt desperate.
“We
can’t just leave the Palace, Olivia,” James pulled back.
“But
can’t you do anything?” she asked.
James
looked annoyed. This must have been happening for long.
“Livy,
not today…”
“Why
not?” she demanded, “Do you have other plans? With Candice?”
Hearing
my name sounded like an accusation. Did
James tell her? And was she okay with it? How long has she known?
“Don’t
be ridiculous, Olivia,” James replied.
“Then
find a way!” she tugged his sleeve.
“Okay
fine…” he said, “I’ll try.”
By
then Olivia jumped to hug him, and for a second I know she caught my eye over
the Prince’s shoulder.
So they’re going out.
Worse?
On their anniversary. Who am I to ruin that? I can’t just meddle between two
hearts that had been together for years. I can’t imagine the weight of such
fault. And here I am once again, feeling so guilty I don’t think a movie with
the Prince can fix. I ran off. Just ran.
And
when I reached my room, Savannah approached me.
“My
Lady? Are you okay? Have you been crying?” she asked.
“I’m
fine,” I sobbed, jumping to bed, “Just call my Father. Call the Prime
Minister!”
“Just did, Your Highness.”
POV: James Bret Nikolai
Ravn Østergaard
It
was late afternoon when Olivia and I returned to the Palace. Today was our
anniversary, and I must admit I wouldn’t have remembered it if Olivia didn’t
come up to me that morning. She had asked me for a date, outside the Palace.
And as much as I wanted to take Candice along, it that’s possible, I can’t. She
was so persistent I had to give in. In the end, I only asked Jackson for
permission. After attempts, he let us go, without the Queen knowing.
We
went to see a movie, had lunch in a fancy restaurant, and strolled around
downtown Gopezt. Such day reminded me of Scotland. We have to wear casual
clothes and hats to disguise ourselves. And it worked, maybe because nobody
would second look us anyway, because it seemed impossible for a Prince to
wander around.
Olivia
and I went to different jewelry stores, because Olivia wanted to buy a new pair
of earrings. I was so guilty I had somewhat forgotten about the day, that the
only way to get back to her is too oblige in all of her wishes. I was nodding
along her questions, What do you think of
this one? How about this one? when I saw at the corner of my eye, a
necklace that seem to glamour. It looked very simple but very elegant as well.
There are those moments when you see something and it reminds you of a specific
person. It reminded me of Candice. It’s a white gold necklace with a crown as a
pendant.
Before
we left the store, I asked Gerardo to wrap one for me. He had to come along,
just to make sure we’re under the Palace’s eyes. It’s one of Jackson’s conditions.
And
now, I am striding across the Assemblies, hoping to get to Candice as fast as I
could, clutched in my hand, the necklace that I bought for Candice. I told
Olivia that I must present myself to the Queen so she wouldn’t suspect that
we’ve gone for the day. Luckily, she didn’t question it.
When
I reached her room, I saw just standing outside, is Henri, pacing back and
forth.
He
froze when he saw me.
“Your
Highness…” he addressed, lowering his head.
I
glanced at the door of Candice’s room. “Are you here to see Candice?”
“No,
Your Highness. I’m only accompanying the Prime Minister,” he answered.
By
that I panicked. The last time I had seen the Prime Minister with Candice on a
conversation was when Carsten said he wouldn’t accept her back home if she fails
her mission. And I’m still as confused as it is whether to pick Candice over
Olivia.
Somehow
I felt worried. I wondered what was happening inside. But I let go, thinking I
was probably just exaggerating. And at the end of the day, the Prime Minister
is still the Father of Candice. He wouldn’t hurt her.
“Very
well,” I said to Henri who looked worried as well.
By
then I walked away, gripping the necklace on my hand, its chain in between my
fingers. I was about to cross the bridge to Kofoed when I heard a loud bang. I
turned around and I saw Henri staring back at me, his dark expressive eyes in
horrors. He darted inside. The noise came from inside Candice’s room. It was
like something had hit the ground, hard. I thought then of Candice. What if he
had hurt her indeed? I ran towards the door, which Henri left half-open. I
peeked in and saw Candice, lying on the floor of the living room. But she kept
her gaze strong and high to her Father, who was standing firm just before her.
Henri was lying beside Candice, helping her up.
I
wanted to come in, and stop the commotion, but I seemed frozen right then and
there. I couldn’t bring myself in. What did they talk about? What angered the
Prime Minister this time? And how can I possibly help Candice, if I can’t even
help myself decide?
But
witnessing this crushed my soul. It was as if every word thrown at Candice is
thrown at me. I feel the same pain, like Candice and I share souls.
***
Before
the Prime Minister exited Candice’s room, I was waiting outside, hidden at one
of the parapet of the Assembly. I peeked and saw Henri rushing out as well,
catching up with the Minister.
I
glanced at the door, which was wide open, and felt the pain and anger of mine
rise.
“Father!”
Henri called.
Father?
The
Prime Minister turned around, with wide eyes, “I told you not to address me
that! People are listening, you fool!”
There
must have been an exchange of words, but my mind was clouded with what I just
heard.
Why did Henri call Carsten
Regerett his Father? Who is Henri Keller? And if he shares the same Father as
Candice, then does that mean they’re siblings? But Candice is adopted, is Henri
adopted too? Why not share his surname?
Suddenly,
everything made sense. I look at Henri and see the resemblance. Dark hair and
the same dark expressive eyes. That’s why he cared so much for Candice. I
looked back at one of our conversations in Verseed.
“Do you intend not to
marry her?” I asked
By that, he replied, “I
can never marry her, Your Highness, all things considered.”
“Why? Do you not love her?”
“I do, Your Highness. I
love her indeed. But not in that way, never in that way.”
But
why the disguise? Why is he a Keller? There are so many questions I’ve murmured
to myself that I didn’t notice that Henri had disappeared. He must have left,
and went the other way. All that’s left reaching Kofoed is the Prime Minister.
I ran to catch up with him.
“Your
Excellency!”
He
turned around, surprised, but tried to hide it. “Your Highness…” he greeted.
“I
heard you were with Candice…”
“Yes,
I only came to make sure she’s hanging around,” he said.
His
look was stern, with a hint of accusation. He was reading my expression, that
I’m sure. But I let him see one. Power.
I
know what he was thinking. He was wondering if I have heard his conversation
with Henri, or if I have witnessed his confrontation with Candice, which all of
it… I saw.
But
I felt like there was more to it than there was. And before I lose my chance to
discover that, I must contain the situation. I must play along.
I
find myself back to questioning Who is
Carsten Regerett?
What is it he really
wants?
Why does the Queen trust
this man?
“I
ran along one of Candice’s servants and told me you are with her. And here you
are. Have you talked to her?” I managed to ask.
“Just
did, Your Highness," he replied, smiling.
“I love you too, James.”
POV: James Bret Nikolai
Ravn Østergaard
When
I returned to Candice’s room, she was already gone. So I went to find her.
I
was scared. I was scared at that moment that I won’t be able to find her. Or if
I do, it’d be too late.
I
first checked the Royal Library, and failed to find her there. Panic rose up.
Then
I went to Lautsen Garden and Thorssen Garden, both not without a sight of
Candice. I went to the Grand Library and found only the Prince Consort.
I
went to Kassandra Grounds only to find an empty Hall.
By
the time I reached Hesselborg Grounds, it was already dark.
The
bridge was empty, but by the actual lake, I saw a shadow of a girl standing. It
was Candice.
I
sighed in relief upon seeing her, but took it back instantly.
I
thought of the amount of pain she must be suffering at the moment. I know
because I share it. When I reached her, she didn’t move. But I doubt she didn’t
feel my presence, since the grass was crunching when I took my steps.
“You
know,” I said, “I’ve literally searched the Palace for you…”
I
looked up to see her face but I couldn’t quite interpret it. It was too dark to
see, but for some reason I knew her face must be swollen from crying.
“And
yet here you are,” I added, filling in the quiet air.
She
didn’t move or replied.
“Candice,
say something…” I said, desperately.
No
reply.
“I
know you talked to your Father. What did he say? Did he hurt you?”
Fool, I
cursed myself for asking. Of course, he
had hurt her.
“What
did you tell him?”
Finally,
she turned to me.
“I
told him I wanted to leave the Palace,” she said straight.
Leave the Palace?
I
was so focused between my confusion, on feelings for Olivia and Candice that I
didn’t realize Candice wanted to leave the Palace. And that the possibility even
exists.
I
am taking everything slow. I am playing safe, having both Olivia and Candice,
while each one suffers. I was so careful not to hurt Olivia that I have been
hurting Candice. I didn’t want to let Candice go, and the result is hurting
her. Both scenarios, I am hurting Candice. But I am hurting Olivia too. The
fact that I am thinking of Candice while with Olivia seemed unfair to her. And
the more I hold on to her the more I’m hurting her.
That’s
it. I have to make a decision.
“Where
would you go?” I asked.
She
took a moment before she replied, “I don’t know. I didn’t have time to plan.
But probably in London.”
“London?
I thought you’re travelling to Asia, to find your family?”
Family. I
suddenly remember Henri. Should I tell
her?
I
decided not yet, not until I figure it out first. I could be mistaken. Besides,
she already had too much for the night. Besides, she won’t be leaving the
Palace. I won’t let her.
“I
have no starting point. I don’t know where to begin. I’d rather not,” she said,
crossing her legs as she sits down by the lake.
But you have a starting
point. Henri. He might have the answer you need, a least a beginning. I
wanted to say.
“What
about me?” I sat beside her.
“You’ll
survive,” she said.
“No
I won’t. I can’t. I’d miss you so bad the only way to survive is death.”
She
looked at me, and by then I realized her face was completely dry. Her eyes
didn’t look like it just recovered from severe crying.
“You,”
I said, “You didn’t cry.”
She
stood up then, fixed her clothes, and stared at a distance.
“I
don’t cry.”
“Why?”
I said, standing up as well.
“Because
it’s no use. I –
“Do
you know sometimes when things are too tight, adding water smoothens it out?
What’s the easiest way to move light things? Add water. It will go with the
current.”
“You
sound like me,” she giggled.
“Cry,”
I sounded too instructive.
She
just stared at me.
“It
will help,” I noted.
“It
won’t. The river has gone dry,” she said, looking away.
I
grabbed her arm and pulled her in an embrace.
“Candice,
I’m sorry…”
She
was stiff.
“Candice…”
I whispered, “Don’t go, I love you…”
“You
can’t,” she said, breaking the embrace, “You love Olivia.”
Before
she was able to completely walk away, I grabbed her once more, my lips landing
on hers. She tastes like berry… sweet like berry. It must have been a lip gloss
or some kind. That was my first thought. She kissed me back, and I felt like
floating. Her lips slightly parting as she gasped for air. I pressed deeper,
squeezing her tighter to me. When she let go, she had tears in her eyes. Before
I was able to say anything else, she pulled me on an embrace. It was warm. It
was Candice.
She
sobbed, “I never cry… I never cry…”
“I
love you more, Candice. I love you… Don’t go…” I pleaded.
“I
love you too, James,” she confessed breaking the embrace.
And
we stood there, face to face, by the Hesselborg Lake of the Palace, and I’ve
never felt like home.
I
held her face, brushing off the strands of hair covering her face. I wiped off
her tears. And I was smiling so naturally I can’t even picture it myself.
I
took the necklace I bought for her, from the pocket of my jacket, and walked
behind Candice. Standing from behind her, I put the necklace around her neck.
Then
she faced me. She was looking at the pendant.
“A
crown?” she asked.
“Yes.
I want you to have it,” I said, grabbing her hand, “I will end things with
Olivia, Candice.”
“Tell Olivia I want to see
her right away.”
POV: James Bret Nikolai
Ravn Østergaard
“Gerardo?”
I called, and he instantly stepped in my office in Agerskov. He had been
outside, waiting until I call for him. I told him I needed space for myself.
I’ve been here for more than an hour, trying to rehearse whatever words I use
when I tell Olivia I’m breaking up with her. But it has to happen. I had to
make a choice. I love Olivia. I love Candice. I love them both. But I love
Candice more. For whatever reason, I cannot picture life without Candice. And
when I rewind the same scenario with Olivia, I can’t say the same. Of course, I
will miss Olivia. She had been my backbone outside Wolland. But that’s just it.
She’s my backbone, but Candice is my soul. And I’d rather live as a spirit than
an empty shell.
My
love for Olivia, I realized, is a mirror. It only reflected the life I could
have had. I have been protective of her. I have been there for her. I have been
a Prince to her. I have been doing to her the tasks I should have been doing in
the Palace.
And
now, I am able to do just that. I am able to protect my country. I am able to
be there for my country. I am Wolland’s Crown Prince.
Somewhat,
realizing this, I felt guilty. If I did use Olivia, then I am sorry. If I knew
everything would lead to this, I should have ended things years ago. I
shouldn’t have started it to begin with.
But
that is life. A man is given limited knowledge to learn things on his own. And
I learned that Olivia was only a reason for me, to convince myself not to go
back to Wolland. And subconsciously, I have been ruling over her.
She
was right.
“I
always admired you for that sense of obligation, and responsibility, how
protective you are. It is in your blood, James, to lead. And if you are going
to escape responsibility once more, I wonder why I fell for you in the first
place.”
It’s
in my blood to protect. And what attracted me to Candice is she’s the only one
I don’t have to protect, but choose to. I protect her not because it’s my
responsibility, but because I want to, because I love her.
“Your
Highness…” Gerardo bowed.
I
stood up from my desk, and approached him.
“Gerardo,
I want you to seek Henri Keller’s identity – his parents, his birthplace,
everything. Do not tell anyone but me, understood?”
He
jerked, but nodded anyway.
“Of
course, Your Highness,” he said.
“And
one more thing,” he headed towards the door, “Tell Olivia I want to see her
right away.”
***
A
few minutes passed and Gerardo came right back in.
“I’m
sorry, Your Highness, but His Excellency, the Prime Minister, seeks your
attendance in the Grand Library right now.”
“I planned all of this. I
asked the Prince to come. I will never help you.”
POV: Carsten Regerett
“Have
you thought of my offer?” I asked, pacing back and forth in front of Olivia,
who was seated in front of me.
“One
thing I don’t understand, Mr. Regerett, is why you are doing this?” she asked.
I
laughed, mockingly, by the absurdity of her question. She has a long way to go
before she’s ready. But just like I trained Candice to obey me, Olivia will too.
At least, that’s what I want her to think.
“Let
me tell you something I haven’t told Candice,” I grabbed a seat next her, as
she leaned closer, “She was never my daughter. She’s adopted.”
She
drew back, mouth open.
“You
see, I’m only using her. But lately I realized her weakness –
“James,”
she stitched my sentence.
“Oh
you’ve noticed?”
“Of
course. James was all over her. I hate her. I want to ruin her,” her voice
growling, “But I hate you too.”
“Oh
that won’t be a problem. In fact, we don’t need to like each other to ruin
her.”
“I
still don’t see why you’re doing this,” she said, standing up.
“Let
me explain further,” I said, catching up to her, “You see, my goal is not
power, sweetheart. It’s remaining in power. The Queen is old, the Prince is too
stubborn. To stay in power, I need the Princess. And Candice was the perfect
candidate. I have made her the way she is. She is because of me. But she has
this white stain inside of her that no matter how I paint it black won’t do. In
fact, I realized lately that she’s weak after all. The strength I’ve provided
for her blinds that weakness, but exist from within anyway. I realized that
stain will come to light eventually, and when she comes into power, she will
betray me. You see I need a partner. That’s all I need. And all you have to do
is be the Princess, and you will have the Prince all you want, without Candice
ruining that. I’ve told you before, you have strength in you, but you hide it.
Let me help you unleash that.”
“But
I already have the Prince,” she reasoned.
I
laughed once more, “You really think so?”
She
was silent. I’m glad, for it only meant she was weighing my offer.
“So
you will help me ruin Candice, and in exchange I get to be the Princess as
well?”
“Give
and take,” I replied, “Originally, all is yours anyway. I am only giving you
back what Candice stole from you. Isn’t that what you wanted anyway? Why you
chose to stay? Admit it sweetheart, you want to be the Princess. And it was a
bonus that the Prince fell for you. And when things went sideways with the
Prince, you wanted to run away. You thought if you lose both the Crown and the
Prince, you’d be left with nothing. So you wanted to wrap up the Prince, from
where you started, and flee. That way, you win halfway.”
She
smiled, meaning all my theories must be true.
“I
will take Candice out of the Palace and –
“No!”
she cut me off, “That won’t do. If Candice leaves the Palace, James might
follow her. You have to ruin her. You have to make sure James will hate her.
You have to make sure the Queen will hate her. That way, she won’t be able to
return… ever.”
Inside,
I am laughing. She took the bait.
“Olivia?”
A cracking voice spoke from the door of the Grand Library.
It
was the Prince.
“Ah,
Prince James,” I bowed.
Olivia
looked at me with horrid eyes.
“James…”
Olivia stammered, “How long –
“Long
enough Olivia! Long enough to see you for whom you truly are! I cannot believe
I prolonged all of this when I should have ended things with you weeks ago!” he
walked out, and before Olivia followed, I grabbed her arm, “Sweetheart, let me
tell you another thing I haven’t told anyone…”
She
waited.
“I
planned all of this. I asked the Prince to come. I will never help you.”
No comments:
Post a Comment